Search results

1. R

First Attempt at Maloof Style Rocking Chair

Here is my first attempt at a Maloof style rocking chair, and maybe my last, but more on that later. I used Charles Brock's book, DVD, and templates for this build which were really helpful but still created moments of stepping back, scratching my chin and wondering "How in the heck do you do...
  2. R

Power Tool Table Polish

Bruce, No disrespect taken. I am in the process of installing a power feeder that I will use on my table saw, band saw, and router table. The polish is to make the lumber feed more smoothly and evenly than it is for cosmetic reasons. My table saw is a 30 yr. old Delta Unisaw and it has more...
  3. R

Power Tool Table Polish

I want to start polishing the tables for various power tools, i.e. table saw, jointer, band saw, etc. What type or brand of wax do those in the know recommend that would not contaminate wood passing over it?
  4. R

Yet another wood identification question

I'm going to go with eastern red cedar as well. The inside chest picture is almost a dead giveaway.
  5. R

Considering a Festool ETS 150/5 EQ-Plus 6" Random Orbit sander. Who's got one?

Red, I use my sander primarily as a finish sander. I have completed several pieces of furniture using it and am very satisfied with the finish. My usual sanding sequence is starting with 120 grit, then 150, 180 and finishing with 220. I am very content with the surface at that point. In...
  6. R

Considering a Festool ETS 150/5 EQ-Plus 6" Random Orbit sander. Who's got one?

I have the Festool RO 150 FEQ-Plus and am very happy with it. Not sure if this compares completely with the model you are looking at but I'm willing to bet it does. While Festool is an expensive tool and some folks think they are way overpriced, I am of the opinion that if you can afford...
  7. R

2021 Annual Picnic

The date is marked on my calendar. I would give anything for the picnic to happen as I really miss seeing everyone, not only at the picnic but at outreach events and other supporting events. However, I reluctantly agree with tvrgeek that things might not be ready for gatherings like our picnic...
  8. R

Card Scraper Sharpening

There is an excellent article on sharpening a card scraper in the July/August 2012 issue of Fine Woodworking. I use his technique and jigs and get excellent results every time.
  9. R

Worksharp 3000

Where do you get the diamond plates?
  10. R

Sanding Bowls

I sand bowls on the lathe starting at 100 grit and going thru 120, 150,180 and finishing with 220. After that I use Scotchbrite abrasive pads with a course, medium and fine pad. That generally removes all sanding marks. After that I buff the bowl using Klingspor's buffing kit and the finish...
  11. R

How do you measure your humidity?

I also run a dehumidifier 24/7 in my basement shop. This keeps the RH in the basement in the 35-40% range. If my dehumidifier should die, everything in my shop would turn into a giant pile of rust.
  12. R

It’s that time of year again...

Having also been bitten by one, I respectfully have to agree with catch and release. I live in a very remote area, surrounded by woods and with a 10 acre lake/pond in front of the house. Snakes, along with many other critters, are not uncommon. I am a firm believer we are all God's creatures...
  13. R

Help with a taste test

The splated pecan ones are outstanding. I can see why they sell as fast as you could make them!
  14. R

MURRAY'S MILL THREAD

Well said Bruce! I, too, agree that this forum is the best there is and I can't wait until we get back to having outreach events, picnics, etc. I really miss seeing everyone. Again, thanks Bruce for all your support and input to this forum.
  15. R

Recent Turnings

Charlie, you are the master!!!
  16. R

Suggestions on shop de-humidifier

I am currently using Hisense Model DH70K1G that I got from Lowes, under $500.00. It has a capacity of 70 pts. per day. This is for my basement shop that is 25' x 25' x 9' and keeps the humidity level between 35 and 40%. This unit runs 24/7, 365 days a year and I have had it for three years...
  17. R

Armoire For My Sister

Thank you for your kind comments. Martin, thank you for your comment about my "back yard". I am truly blessed with where I live. The land I live on has been in my family since the early 1800's and was farmed, cotton, beef cattle (when I was growing up), row crops and around 35 years ago pine...
  18. R

Armoire For My Sister

37 years ago, my sister got married. I built her a king size cherry pencil post bed, two nightstands, a dresser and a mirror stand for the dresser. For her 37th wedding anniversary, she asked if I would build her an armoire to replace the one her husband had when they got married and continues...
  19. R

16/4 Mahogany

It has to be mahogany because that is what the client wants. The four post for the bed are 4"x4"x 5' long on the head board and 3' on the footboard. There is some turning on these post so a laminated or veneered post would not work. Scroungers Paradise does not have 16/4 nor does Bee Tree...
  20. R

Burrowing Owls

Great job Berta. Very Impressive!

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS