Search results

1. Joe Scharle

First Attempt at Maloof Style Rocking Chair

Very nice!
  2. Joe Scharle

Redoing a metal and wood lawn bench

A few years ago, I restored 6 of those. I pressure washed the iron and used something from Rustoleum for garden furniture. They're a little dull looking now, but holding up. The white oak slats are pretty much ugly, but still hold my weight!
  3. Joe Scharle

Pattern material to use

My permanent patterns are with 1/4" plexiglass. After cutting the pattern I smooth the edge using a butane torch. I've made many patterns using whatever is on the floor and any hardwood works well. Patterns, like fences are guides, not barricades! Go lightly... I'll use double bearing bits if...
  4. Joe Scharle

Reboring Dogholes - Thoughts ?

A little late now, but I like to make dog holes with a 3/4" HSS downcut spiral bit (MLCS $13). All of these were made using the same bit.
  5. Joe Scharle

Happy Birthday Joe Scharle

Thank you all. Was off-line for a couple of days.
  6. Joe Scharle

Router baseplate and bushing set

They do work as well as brass bushings with one caveat; they can be overwhelmed by excessive lateral pressure, whereas metal bushings not so much. As with either one, a centering pin through an appropriate size template is required to center the collet/bushing/baseplate. Here's another use for...
  7. Joe Scharle

Miter Saw won't start - rounded up the usual suspects to no avail

I'd begin by ohming the switch. They're cheaply made and I've had to replace them on other tools...mainly routers.
  8. Joe Scharle

Tablesaw - adjustment and tuning

I suspect a cracked trunnion or worn bearing. Hard to tell this far away, but Ernie had a similar problem years ago. Try jerking on the arbor (blade off!) and see if there's any motion.
  9. Joe Scharle

Horizontal or vertical

They are both handy and easy to build. Aside from mortising you can find the special bits on MLCS for edge routing. This one from sometime in late 70s or early 80s hangs on the back of my shop built vertical router table. Simply pivots.
  10. Joe Scharle

Latest Turnings

Truly nice!
  11. Joe Scharle

My Latest Turnings

Very nice!
  12. Joe Scharle

multiple blades?

I've done it a few times using a pair of 24T rip blades. Stagger the teeth so they don't interfere with each other. I never used any spacer, because I was afraid of slippage and knocking off the carbide teeth. Be curious how that may turn out.
  13. Joe Scharle

Dresser(s) Completed

Now that's good work, eh! :)
  14. Joe Scharle

Dove Tail jig

When I was still in Raleigh, I held a dovetail jig class with a HF ($19.95 then) jig. This pic below shows an example of what can be done with that jig, with variable spacing, using different DT bits etc, The link is a demo of my shopmade dust collector. These jigs really produce some dust...
  15. Joe Scharle

Hall Table

Elegant!
  16. Joe Scharle

Small boxes for Christmas gifts

Very nice, Matt
  17. Joe Scharle

Cane Chair Repair?

Seats took me about 3-4 hours, and I'm certain people with experience can do it a lot quicker. I bought the caning paper from Rockler and remember it being cheap for the amount of cane in a bundle. Getting the cane wet 'just so' and pulling the tension 'just so' is the major trick. Oh, and...
  18. Joe Scharle

Dovetails

I don't see any reason to glue the DT. Which, btw being a profile bit must be cut in a single pass. I would imagine that the stretcher has a peg tenon on each end to help prevent the legs from rotating as well as controlling the centering of the legs. If I were to build that bench, I'd rout the...
  19. Joe Scharle

Dovetails

I can make sliding DTs using this dado guide and whatever bit I think would be best, but my first choice is my Woodrat.
  20. Joe Scharle

Picture frame question

I use this to set glazing points. Big Horn 19120 Picture Frame Pliers $18.35 Amazon

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS