1. merrill77

How to start a conversation?

Yup...that was it. Thanks!
  2. merrill77

Thanks, Bill, but that link is missing as well:
  3. merrill77

Thanks, but I don't get that button :( I haven't been on the site in a while. Maybe I've fallen out of favor, so to speak? I'm glad to know that I'm not just blind, though :)
  4. merrill77

I must be blind...but I can't find the Start Conversation button. It is not up here...nor at the bottom of the page. What am I missing?? TIA!
  5. merrill77

Is there such a thing as an extra-extra thin wall socket?

I wasn't sure where else to post this...it IS a woodworking tool. I want to get this nut off. It is a 15/16" nut but the surrounding hole is only 1 7/32” in diameter. I bought an extra-thin-wall socket, but it is nearly 1 17/64” in diameter – making it nearly a full 1/16” too big. The wall of...
  6. merrill77

needing a gun stock refinished

Maybe he could...dunno. He asked me to recommend someone to do it for him. I haven't found any shop time in past 3 years due to work situation. I've occasionally helped other people do this kind of stuff. And supervise/advise on three district-winning pinewood derby cars. All of which I could do...
  7. merrill77

I'll ask that, too. He is sending the mechanism in for new seals, IIRC. So maybe he just wants to clean it up while it is apart.
  8. merrill77

I don't know if he's in a hurry, but I know he doesn't have a basement :) I guess I should have him bring it by and get a better look at how much work it really needs.
  9. merrill77

A neighbor inquired about refinishing a gun stock. Unfortunately, I've been too busy to do anything in my shop for a long while, so I am unable to help him. But I said I'd see if I can find anyone who is looking for this kind of work. Here is a picture of the stock in question. If you are...
  10. merrill77

band recommendation for cutting curves in 8" maple

Thanks for the advice! I knew I had heard of something along these lines, but "Skip tooth" had completely eluded my recall. I've found a 4TPI skip tooth in 3/8" for my saw (123"). How do y'all check for good blade tension manually? The tension gauge on my saw always seemed questionable...and...
  11. merrill77

band recommendation for cutting curves in 8" maple

A neighbor is building a table and needs to cut some legs in 8" soft maple. I told him my saw (16" Jet) has that capacity, but I don't think any of my bands are suitable for the job. Seems like anything more than a 3/8" band will make the tighter curves tough...and that lower curve may need a...
  12. merrill77

MakeMeMaker - find and offer local maker services

I saw a presentation on this at this morning's Tech Breakfast (http://www.meetup.com/Triangle-TechBreakfast/) and I thought it might be of interest to some of you...particularly those looking to have a custom part made or offer your own shop / CNC services to others. http://makememaker.com/...
  13. merrill77

Router Bit sets - looking for affordable suggestions?

It is true that buying some of the more varied bit sets will result in having at least some bits that you never use. If you were to buy the MLCS rabbeting, cove and round-over sets (most common RT operations, IMO), you'd spend about $90 and cover your common tasks for a lot less (and only 9...
  14. merrill77

Firewood FAQ

:eek: I would think putting a lead-acid battery into a furnace could be quite the disaster! Is there some other type of lead-acid battery that I'm not aware of...one that doesn't create (highly-explosive) hydrogen gas when it overheats? (zinc-carbon, zinc-chloride and alkaline batteries were...
  15. merrill77

Firewood FAQ

Poorly worded paragraph in that article. First it says: but is immediately followed by: If the second is true, why mention the moisture content in the first? If it is because the moisture content it is related to the temperature of the burn, then the authors should have been more explicit...
  16. merrill77

Firewood FAQ

As the others said, you won't get much heat or any coals from it. When I burned poplar in my fireplace, I noticed that I had to put another log on the fire ~ every 5 minutes. It was ~15 minutes with oak. I don't even bother carrying it up the hill to my house anymore...burning it is more work...
  17. merrill77

Help! Choosing a face vise for new workbench

I'm probably not too far from you - you're welcome to stop by and see it in action.
  18. merrill77

Yeah, but all you need to do is add a spacer to the front of one of your legs.
  19. merrill77

From your pics, I don't see a reason to rule out a leg vice.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS