Search results

1. Willemjm

And more floating shelves

I agree, I started the thread with good intentions and it got degraded to the point where we have to abort.
  2. Willemjm

Let’s agree to disagree that calculation takes all the moments into consideration. Torsion is the wrong term, it refers to stresses in a round body. If you stand on that shelf, the load would not be uniform and it would be dynamic not static. But hey, surf YouTube a bit, there is a guy sitting...
  3. Willemjm

Chris's approach did not take into account the length of shelf, so his approach would yield the same for a 1 mile long beam with hundreds of screws compared to the 36 inch beam in question each supporting only 200lbs Keeping things simple, here are the calculations and I will round numbers for...
  4. Willemjm

Nice, I got a personal attack against my resume. Any point in continuing this, or is the importance to be right more important than what is right?
  5. Willemjm

Here is a clue. Uniformly supported load of 200lbs. Over 36” wide by 10” deep gives us a load of 200/(36x10) = 0.56. So that shelf carries a little more than 8 ounces per square inch. Now if you twist my arm, I will do the entire structure calculation for you, with explanations. But you would...
  6. Willemjm

If you read my posts, notice I switched away from a Plywood to Hard Maple. Less work, less cost, that is how the ones in this thread were built. There are 4 butt joints, two are pocket screwed (2 screws) two are dados and screwed. They are all glued. That would handle in excess of 700lbs...
  7. Willemjm

Chris, don’t bother, I am just yanking your chain. But if you insist, the calculation would be based on the weakest part of the structure. A cantilever beam with a uniformly distributed load of 200 lbs, 36” wide 10” deep. The weakest point is where the rear slat screws against the wall 4/4...
  8. Willemjm

LOL I knew you would not take the bait. You believe what you believe, without being able to prove your point.
  9. Willemjm

The challenge was yours. But we don’t need a diagram. The maximum stress point is a 3 minute free hand calculation. I am cautious spending time for no reason. Experience has taught me that those without a formal technical background have no respect for applied math and physics, they believe what...
  10. Willemjm

For 10” deep, I do 2 1/2” thick. The frame is 1 7/8” thick and does all the work. That was for this install. If we go 12” deep, we do a 3” thick shelf. The frame is pretty solid and loads are normally somewhat uniformly distributed. If we have drywall between the studs and the frame, the last...
  11. Willemjm

Let me try better English Mount frame to wall, two cabinet screws in each stud. Slip envelope over frame and pin with a few 23 gauge 1” pins. Place 200lbs (4x50lb bags)on shelf. No noticeable deflection, no failure That was not a voluntary test, we had a customer who specified that as a...
  12. Willemjm

I use to make the frames out of 3/4 ply, but now use 4/4 Maple as it is actually cheaper at the wholesale prices I get. The sleeve is 4/4 Maple rails, one along the length and two along the depth cut to the thickness of the shelf. The horizontal panels are two 1/4” Maple ply MDF core.
  13. Willemjm

I have tested a 2 1/2” thick at 200lbs. Non issue.
  14. Willemjm

No trade secrets, a few cabinet suppliers are making them. In the picture below you can see the frame which screws into the studs in the wall with cabinet screws. The sleeve then slides over and we use a couple of 23gauge pin nails so it does not slide off. At first I was concerned about flexing...
  15. Willemjm

Can’t stay ahead making these. All the builders around here want them, this one was for a home owner we did a cabinet install for.
  16. Willemjm

Wine cabinet commission

I looked at the video below. It’s a little faster than my current process, but for solid wood doors and $300 not sure I can justify it.
  17. Willemjm

Wine cabinet commission

The last step is rounding the edges of the doors and drawer fronts with a Palm router and a 1/8” rounding bit. Spray and stain work will follow and the we are ready for 90% assembly.
  18. Willemjm

Wine cabinet commission

After assembly, the Stiles and Rails get a light sand with the RO, 180 grit and then 240 grit. About RO’s this Bosch has done well for me, it removes a lot of material fast in aggressive mode, in fine mode great for removing grit scratches. My experience with RO’s anything und$250 is a throw...
  19. Willemjm

Wine cabinet commission

Looks like a good deal. Are those 3/8”? I do either Shaker or Ogee, with the same Freeborn set, have two other Amana profiles which I have never used.
  20. Willemjm

Wine cabinet commission

Freeborntool.com I use 1/2” tenon and groove, instead of the standard 3/8”, but they have up to 5/8” Unfortunately they are expensive, about twice the price of Amana and you have to work through a dealer. I normally go through Routerbitworld. The quality is superior though.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS