Search results

1. tvrgeek

Oscillating Multi-tools: What do you have? What's good? What's bad?

Went to HD to see if they cheap M12 package was in the store. Nope. Only the old tool for $90! Came away with the older Makita 6 1/2 inch left side circ saw to use with a yet to buy track. $112.
  2. tvrgeek

HD has the old M12 tool-needed non brushless for $50. Cheaper than the two batteries it comes with! New "Fuel" $150 preorder from CPO available the end of the month.
  3. tvrgeek

M12 or M18? I have an M12 Hacks-all that is now my go-tool for metal. I grab it now more often than my angle grinders. M22, driver, drill, stapler. Happy with all.
  4. tvrgeek

OH, they DID just come out with the new M12! $150 tool only. Older lighter one was $80.
  5. tvrgeek

I thought these were a gimmick, but bought a cheap Sears to see. It took years, but it eventually burned up. So I read the reviews and bought the corded Dremel. Hate it. It makes so much noise and vibration I don't want to use it. I have to use a tiny c shape shim for the universal blades...
  6. tvrgeek

Quick little project

Same problem with all the Southern Colonials painted white. Originally they had brighter colors. White was because that was all that was available during the Civil War. Black shutters? Maybe on a Federal, not on a Southern. ( But I don't go for the Haint Blue to ward off evil spirits either)...
  7. tvrgeek

Quick little project

Yup, gives a handhold. I need to be much higher, Ordered a 3-tier scaffold from HD. At least it is free shipping to store. Renting was not going to cut it. What the market needs is ladder stabilizers that have an adjustable stand off. Mine are only about a foot, so that leaves you...
  8. tvrgeek

Quick little project

Oka, I thought about that, but I think it wil be hidden when I replant the shrubs. . I'll wait and see. My biggest problem now is figuring how to paint the upper gable and the corners of the eve where I can't get a ladder stable. I just don't feel comfortable doing things like I did 40 years ago.
  9. tvrgeek

Sub Panel Wiring Question

Farm wiring has different requirements as cows are super sensitive to trickle currents in the ground. Around here, you can't use armored cable in a barn due to corrosion, thin wall or plastic is required. Some allow smurf tube, some do not. Codes differ where neutral and ground are tied and...
  10. tvrgeek

1ph vs 3ph

3 phase motors are easily reversible. Single phase are not. 3 phase motors work well with electronic speed controllers. Single phase do not. 3 Phase is not usually available residential. More often industrial. You can buy electronic converters* but to get three phase, you still need a big 220...
  11. tvrgeek

Sub Panel Wiring Question

I think you need to talk to the inspector or an electrician. What works and what passes code may not be the same. Even though most codes are based off the NEC, they do vary a bit. You can get larger neutral and ground buss bars. Running an outlet is fine, but consider for eventual...
  12. tvrgeek

Quick little project

Finally got around to doing some detail on the house front. Who on earth paints a "Craftsman" house trim white, I don't know, but in the process of trim paint, I added a little detail to the front porch. It had plain 6 x 6 posts, which I found out were never tied in! Hand rail down the steps...
  13. tvrgeek

Digital angle gage

Well, I am the outsider I guess as I have had very good luck with my Wixy. Battery lasts a couple of years. I still adjust, test cut and measure the actual wood to believe.
  14. tvrgeek

Anyone recommend a cordless router?

Batteries do make a lot of these tools off-balance. Multi-tool, angle grinder etc. Even my new Makita drill and driver I want to get smaller batteries for. I saw one had a tilting base. What would one use a tilting base for in a free-hand router? Maybe I can see it in a table.
  15. tvrgeek

New deck w/ screened porch & roof

Minimum code makes a trampoline. A decent deck is at least one size larger if not two.
  16. tvrgeek

Anyone recommend a cordless router?

Hmmm. I have M12 and Makita 18V tools. Had not thought about a router as it is one of those actual high power tools. Ryobi is really light weight. Compare specs against the comparable others. Ridgid are much better tools, but they find a way to not stand behind their battery replacement. I...
  17. tvrgeek

Rare-earth magnet fragility

What are you trying to attach to? Does it get in full contact? If so, one small button size holds a lot.
  18. tvrgeek

New deck w/ screened porch & roof

Tough one! Seems FLW ignored all codes, and for than matter any respect for the engineers. But we did get beautiful cantilevered buildings.
  19. tvrgeek

"That's an entirely different type of magnet from rare earth magnets." Exactly but they are not brittle. My point. Pick the material suited for the job. Buying a brand name is doing nothing but raise your price. They material is the same. I buy backs of 20 or so cheap and stick them...
  20. tvrgeek

Sorry, but the magnet is made of the material it is made of. You can't change the properties of metals just because you would like to think so. So, go buy cheap Alinco magnets then. Neodymium in brittle. Complain to mother nature.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS