Search results

1. Gotcha6

Dewalt 18 Volt Batteries

Batteries Plus and Interstate Batteries may rebuild any battery that has a screwed on case and is not Lithium Ion. They are not able to get cells for Li-I batteries due to transportation restrictions. As for the drainage issue with the 18v adapter, it's never been a problem for me, bu ti...
  2. Gotcha6

Dewalt 18 Volt Batteries

You may need to consider getting the adapter to use the 20 volt batteries with this drill.
  3. Gotcha6

General contractor asks for a non-code cabinet.

Old school story about panel clearances: Electrician working in a live panel grabs a hot wire. Jumps back and throws his arms to the side (before clearance requiremets) and breaks both arms. Told to me by an instructor in a basic electrical code class 49 years ago. Never forgot it...... OTOH...
  4. Gotcha6

WTB or Trade for Blacksmith Anvil

Saw a YouTube video on the HF anvil. It was not impressive. The author was able to put dings in the surface of the anvil with his hammer. Hard to get a smooth face on a knife like that......
  5. Gotcha6

A word of caution about English anvils. Most of them are marked in hundredweight numbers. The first number would be the number of hundredweights (112#), the second number is the number of quarter hundredweights (28#) and the third number is the final number of pounds. i.e. 1-3-5 would be 112...
  6. Gotcha6

Be prepared to pay big $$ for a larger anvil. Martha Stewart dried up the anvil supply some years ago by suggesting everyone put one in their garden. Most of the ones I see that are <100# are well worn and not flat enough to do knife work on. Good luck, nonetheless. There is a guy on...
  7. Gotcha6

Just Plain STUPID - Lowes

Lots of their stores have the self serve key machines now. Guess they are trying to get their employees to the lowest common denominator. No training required for the self serve machines and the vendor usually restocks the blanks.
  8. Gotcha6

Benchtop Drill Press

The other advantage of the split casting is an easier way to lock the quill vertically. Has anyone ever thought about knurling to r size the quill column when a fixed bore unit wears out, or is it time to make a boat anchor when that happens? What about wear bushings or brass jib pieces?
  9. Gotcha6

Drill press (was) kicking GFI breaker

Possibly a lightning surge. Otherwise, if it's a feet through wired box it could have just been that way from installation and only now started arcing. Found one in my MIL's house that was a feed through that way. The lamp would flicker and I could hear the receptacle popping. It had not...
  10. Gotcha6

Benchtop Drill Press

IIRC, some of these use a #3 Jacobs taper on the chuck and are easily replaceable. At least mine was.
  11. Gotcha6

Woodworking with Parallam

So pricey that in some cases a steel I beam is cheaper.....
  12. Gotcha6

Sliding leg vise with X cross

Most commercial door closers come with a set of 4 sex bolts to attach the closer to a 1 hour rated door as it is usually a gypsum core and wood screws won't hold for long. They are usually 3/8" O.D. with a 1/4-20 internal thread and 1-3/4" long. The shoulder end could be cut off to whatever...
  13. Gotcha6

Hollowing out a log

+1 on the glass and interior light. Maybe even a mirror in the bottom of the hollow to make an infinity table! Check for insects first...........................o_O
  14. Gotcha6

Sharpening a File With Vinegar - Cuts Like A New Black Diamond!

I've heard of the same results with Hydrogen Peroxide. Anybody ever try that too?
  15. Gotcha6

Forstner labels

I've worked every day during all this (construction) but I think this will all be a memory before I see my shop floor again. Lotta work that's been put off to do there. I guess it'll have to wait until I'm pasture-ized.......
  16. Gotcha6

Forstner labels

Somewhere I think I have a label set for sockets like that, but I've always been doubtful it would survive under greasy and heavy physical situations.
  17. Gotcha6

What am I supposed to do with this...

It's always amazing to me to see how well designed these old machines are that they withstand the ravages of time and use. I doubt you would see very little difference in a new machine bought today along those lines. Of course, getting into CNC is another breed of cat, but even that is simply...
  18. Gotcha6

Johnny Walker new "Bottle"

I seem to recall there being some controversy a few years back about liquor being sold in plastic bottles and a concern with the plastic leaching into the 'product'. I guess they got that all straightened out.
  19. Gotcha6

Great use for an old piano. Not mine.

.... and those were the "good old days?"
  20. Gotcha6

Great use for an old piano. Not mine.

Interesting concept, but if I did that to my wife's piano I'd find all my clothes on the porch........................... ON FIRE!!! :eek:

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS