Search results

1. M

Conversion Varnish HVLP

I just picked up a can of Lenmar Megavar conversion varnish (standard, not high-solids) for refinishing a dining room table top. It will be my first experience with conversion varnish. I'll be spraying it through a Earlex 5500. Can anyone offer pointers for: appropriate thinning (%, lacquer...
  2. M

Removing latex paint but not polyurethane?

The previous owners of my house watched too much HGTV and fancied themselves painters. As a result, there are tons of paint splatters all over the shoe moulding and floors, which are finished in oil-based poly. Is there some chemical treatment that we can use to soften the latex paint for...
  3. M

Using a jointer without the fence?

I just picked up a nice little 10" shortbed jointer, like this one (gloat over). While the cutterhead is 10", with the fence installed it has a max capacity of 8". Is it dangerous to face joint a wide board without a fence? Like if one edge wandered off the cutterhead and then wandered back on?
  4. M

What woods are these? Theories of origins of this furniture piece?

My wife and I bought a vanity this weekend and we're curious about the origins of the piece. It was sold as a Biedermeier-style piece, but it's definitely 20th century (NC lacquer finish, die-cast hardware, plywood) and not a one-off item. I'm interested to know what you think the veneers are...
  5. M

An interesting beech tree

I saw this American beech in the woods yesterday. The ribbing on the trunk went up probably a good 16', and there must be fantastic flame figuring in that grain. I thought it was neat to see the odd sort of growth that creates the grain figure that we prize, and I think figured beech is...
  6. M

Repair to a "water based clear coat"

I own two of these armchairs: Truss Chair | Chairs & Gliders | Gus* Modern One got a deep scratch in it, and I'd like to repair the finish. The only info on the mfr website is that it is a water based clear coat finish. I'm guessing this means water based lacquer, not poly since this is a...
  7. M

HELP! Can someone in RDU help me store that planer until June?

So for those of you following along at home, I'm trying to get this Belsaw planer. I'm a real sucker for a nice OWWM. The issue is that I'm currently in Canada and I won't be back to NC until June. Is there anybody that could pick up the planer and store it for me until then? I'd give you $75...
  8. M

$150 Rockler Gift Card for $130.

My brother in law got me a very nice $150 gift card to Rockler for Christmas, but there aren't Rockler stores here in Canada, and the shipping + duties are a real killer. Does anyone want to buy this gift card for $130? Payment can be via venmo or paypal, and I'll PM the card to you.
  9. M

Attaching leather to wood.

I'm looking for adhesive recommendations to attach leather to wood. I was considering either liquid hide glue or epoxy. I have some fairly thick (8oz.) veg tan leather that I want to attach to a curved strip of wood. The contact area will be pretty minimal... the curved strip is be 1/2" by 6"...
  10. M

Trick for re-aligning DP table to same horizontal position?

I've run into the following problem a few times, and I wonder if anybody has a trick I can use to solve it... My drill press table isn't rack and pinion driven, so it can swivel freely around the column. I want to be able to clamp a workpiece to the table, drill a hole, then move the table...
  11. M

Made a kaleidoscope for my daughter

Walnut and maple scraps, with a three mirror assembly inside, BLO and beeswax finish.
  12. M

Impressive but unsafe Russian woodturner video.

While slagging off at work I found this... This guy turns a spherical, lidded bowl in under five minutes, using a crazy looking homemade skew chisel. Never even turns the lathe off. Definitely not a safety how-to video.
  13. M

Need help finding a current riser block kit for an old saw.

If you have a riser block kit on your bandsaw, please help me out! I'm looking for a riser block kit that will fit a Delta 28-245C bandsaw, built back in the 1990s. The Delta kit isn't available. I'm attaching pictures below. I'm mostly concerned with finding a kit with a matching guide post...
  14. M

Folding camp stool finished.

This is the end result of making that camp stool I was asking turning advice for. With all the brass on it, it's more of a "glamp" stool haha. It's made out of ash that I ebonized with winemaker's tannin and rust water, with a BLO and beeswax polish. Leatherworking turns out to be pretty fun! I...
  15. M

Pre-drill stock before turning?

I'm about to build a folding camp stool like this. The legs will be 1 1/4" at the top and taper continuously to 1", and a 5/16" bolt hole will go through each leg in the middle. Because of the taper, it would be much easier if I could drill the holes before turning the legs. Is this safe, or is...
  16. M

Antique 36" Crescent bandsaw... soliciting opinions for purchase

I don't know much about old arn, I'm not really in the market for a bandsaw, and I certainly don't have the space for this one, but... https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1445633108 This beauty popped up in my suggested Kijiji ads, about an hour away from me. It sure does look...
  17. M

Link belts... vibration reduction?

I'm considering getting a link belt for the lathe I recently rebuilt. The hinged motor I think is causing some slight vibration issues, but I can't change to a fixed motor setup for storage reasons. I've read many conflicting things on the internet about how well link belts work to reduce...
  18. M

Option to banish For Sale from the home page?

First, thanks for all the great work the webmasters and board are doing to improve the website. Y'all put in a lot of thankless hours I'm sure. Something that was great about the old separate classifieds system is that people's ads didn't clog up the discussion board, particularly on the main...
  19. M

Restored vintage lathe.

I got tired of making square things, so restored a 1950s Rockwell Beaver 3400 lathe. These lathes were made 20m away from me in Guelph, Ontario. I never heard of them before moving to Canada, but there are tons of them here... probably 1/4 of lathe ads on CL are for these. It's a great little...
  20. M

Jacking up the headstocks and tailstocks on a lathe.

I ended up buying a nice old Rockwell/Beaver 3400 lathe the other day, manufactured 20 minutes down the road from me in Guelph, Ontario in the late 50s. (Pics of it will be forthcoming after I paint it and replace the bearings.) Anyway, I'm on the hunt for a few parts that are missing, and I...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS