Search results

1. Bas

Summer Projects

Wow. Inset, hand-dovetailed drawers for the dresser and 3-way adjustable crib. Looks almost as good as the stuff at Pottery Barn! :D:D:D Very nice work indeed! Never even heard of Leopard wood.
  2. Bas

Want your reviews on Rockler 45° Lock Miter Router Bits - 1/2'' Shank

I don't have that specific Rockler bit, but some thoughts that might help: - Rocker generally has decent router bits. Not the best, but definitely average/ above average. From my very limited, anecdotal experience, Whiteside bits tend to remain sharper longer. But they're also more expensive. -...
  3. Bas

stain over poly

It's common to apply a thin coat of dewaxed shellac prior to staining with wood that is prone to blotching. The idea is that the porous areas will absorb more of the finish, so that when you apply the stain things will even out. I don't think polyurethane would be a great choice because you want...
  4. Bas

stain over poly

I have never tried it, but obviously the stain would have difficulty penetrating the top coat and you may not see any change in color. A better option might be to sand the table and top coat with more poly with a dye added to it. The only downside is that any kind of damage to the table will...
  5. Bas

Completed Cabinet with hidden drawers

Those drawers, could you use those to hide narcotics, stolen firearms, forged artwork, etc.? Asking for a friend :-) Seriously though, very nice work Jerry. That's a terrific looking cabinet, the hardware is a great match too. I'm definitely interested in seeing more of the mechanism, this...
  6. Bas

Meditation table/Bench for my niece

Beautiful combination of wood, I really need to use that piece of ambrosia maple I've got in my stash somewhere. Thanks for sharing!
  7. Bas

Happy SysAdmin day!

Today is System Administrator appreciation day. Many thanks to the people who keep the software up to date, the data backed up, and the servers running!
  8. Bas

Machine cleaning & waxing

My shop is in the basement too, basically part of the living space. Rust is not a concern, but I still wax the table saw, jointer etc. to help the wood slide smoothly. Definitely nice not to have to worry about condensation! I've never had any finishing issues because of wax on the tools. But...
  9. Bas

Machine cleaning & waxing

Ordinary paste wax works just fine, and is very affordable. For a more high tech solution that can be sprayed, Boshield T-9 is a good option. Many car wax products contain silicone, which can be a problem with finishing, or in your case, leave black streaks. What are you applying the compound/...
  10. Bas

Festool domino joiners

Yes.
  11. Bas

One thing leads to another (Final pictures)...

Beautiful, beautiful work. Love the door hinges, very nicely done.
  12. Bas

Drawer dividers

Check out Steve's design. Simple, with a video and plans. Obviously you'll need to change the dimensions to fit your drawer, but should help with the construction ideas.
  13. Bas

Adirondack Chairs

Looks very comfortable. Nice table too.
  14. Bas

Miter Saw Cart

Good thinking. For my (old) miter saw cart as well as my current miter bench I put the sides about 1/4" higher, then shimmed the saw to get it perfect. Very nice design overall, looks extremely sturdy. And smart to get 5" casters, bigger wheels roll so much better.
  15. engraving.jpg

engraving.jpg

16. Bas

Gaming platform

I like to play games. Board games, role playing games, card games, etc. These tend to be fairly complicated, with lots of pieces, rule books, dice, pens, boxes, etc. Space is always at a premium at the table, especially when you add in some cold beverages and the occasional snack. There are a...
  17. Gaming platform

Gaming platform

Building a platform for large games, with laser engraving and 3D feet
  18. fancy_enclosure.jpg

fancy_enclosure.jpg

Simple box to cover the laser engraver, with the shop vac for smoke control
  19. laser_logo.jpg

laser_logo.jpg

Logo lasered into the top
  20. leg_install.jpg

leg_install.jpg

Threaded insert and leg, both 3D printed