Search results

1. pop-pop

Contractor saw alignment

To make the starter kerf in the bottom of the throat plates, I had an 8.5" blade but it only cut a 7/64" kerf. A folded sticky note added enough wobble to widen the kerf to give clearance for a standard 1/8" kerf blade.
  2. pop-pop

Contractor saw alignment

Over time, the slots in my zero clearance inserts have widened quite a bit, and the re-alignment moved the blade left thus making the slots even wider. I restored them by gluing in some oak filler strips and then re-cutting the slots.
  3. pop-pop

Contractor saw alignment

On a too hot day recently I re-aligned my 20+ year old table saw. I haven't seen PALS mentioned recently and several new woodworkers have joined so I thought it was worth a mention. Aligning a contractor table saw requires moving the trunnion assembly (which is bolted underneath the top) in...
  4. pop-pop

Planer/Jointer Tabletop Recommendations

Lately, I have been using another approach to boards with wind (lengthwise twist). If you try to remove the high spots just with a jointer, sometimes you end up with a board too thin (DAMHIKT). If the board rocks side to side on a flat surface, use a pair of winding sticks to identify the...
  5. pop-pop

Pistachio Pedestal

Or a lathe if a round shape would be acceptable.
  6. pop-pop

Sliding leg vise with X cross

Sliding leg vise doing its primary job.
  7. pop-pop

Jet sander spindle

Might try removing the 1” spindle and freezing it for several hours.
  8. pop-pop

A bit of serendipity today. The protective towel was slipping around while I was hand sanding some primed cabinet doors. Fortunately, there was help nearby.
  9. pop-pop

First task for the vise was holding my diamond sharpening plate holder. Now I can position the holder anywhere along a three foot section of my six foot workbench.
  10. pop-pop

A couple of years back I built a portable vise using just the small Benchcrafted criss-cross. This link may give you an idea or two. https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/portable-woodworking-vise.64539/
  11. pop-pop

Using ball bearings is not an absolute requirement. Commercial X cross products like Benchcrafted are steel/iron sliding on steel. This design reflects my personal vise design preferences and this tommy bar can easily be spun with one finger at the tee. The SB204-12 self-aligning bearing in...
  12. pop-pop

I can't seem to convince my CAD program to puke out a PDF. Can you handle a CAD file? If so, it will print full size on legal paper (8-1/2x14). I then glue it to the stock. Here is a JPEG:
  13. pop-pop

A couple of pix of the X cross.
  14. pop-pop

The washer stack that I used to axially locate the cross was a major PITA. Today I replaced them with 3/4" wooden bushings (aka dowel with a drilled hole). This allows centering the cross arms before the glue sets. In the pic above the bushings have not been trimmed flush.
  15. pop-pop

Ingrained, I’ll guess. As the oldest of 7 kids growing up on a small family farm in rural NY one learned to make do with whatever you had.
  16. pop-pop

Remember, this was stuff that I had and adapted the design to suit. 3/4“-5 Acme screw and brass nut from McMaster-Carr 3/4“ self-aligning bearing, R-12 and three R-6 radial bearings from The Big Bearing store Tommy bar tee is ordinary 1/2” x 3/4” x 3/4“ iron pipe tee with threads drilled out...
  17. pop-pop

This photo shows the first leg vise that I made (in 2010) and the latest one. I considered a sliding leg vise when I made the bench (2010) but dropped the notion because the parallel guide would have interfered with storage. The X cross mechanism doesn't protrude under the bench solving that...
  18. pop-pop

Source for maker's stamp?

Some years ago (5-10) I made such a stamp in a class at Peter’s workshop. IIRC, it was through Roy Underhill’s school. Here is a contact link: https://www.peterrossblacksmith.com/contact
  19. pop-pop

Plane adjustment for the aging eyes

Like Jeff, I also use a small piece of wood. For a while, we had some doll house shingles lying around and they were perfect for the task.
  20. pop-pop

Filling large knot holes and voids

The first thing that comes to mind are Mohawk Epoxy Sticks which come in many colors. Just knead and press into the void. https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/m7431500/

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS