Search results

1. eyekode

Workbench Advice

Pop, At least on the split roubo design the split does not reduce the available width. My divider can either be flat or proud of the surface. It can be changed by flipping the divider upside down. Also it does not gather dust because the holes/slots go all the way through. Salem
  2. eyekode

In search of ~24" diameter cross section of hardwood

Wow that is a ton! But it looks like they are 2:30 or so from Apex NC :(. But if I get out that way I will be sure to check them out.
  3. eyekode

Workbench Advice

Thanks it has served me well. Built in 2011 and the only thing I would change is to use higher quality wood for the top. It was such a pia to work! The legs are exactly the size of the scrap I had available :) 5 3/4" x 4" glue ups. Edit: I dug up my old thread detailing my build...
  4. eyekode

Workbench Advice

I'm a fan of the split top roubo. I don't "store" tools in the center. But sometimes I will place one there momentarily. I have also used it for clamping and as a planing stop. But drilling some holes for hold downs works for this too.
  5. eyekode

Black Walnut Floating Top End Table

Wow love how the epoxy almost looks like burl!
  6. eyekode

I never weighed my slab. It is about 24" diameter and finished thickness is 4". If I did my calculation right that is 12.5 bdft. In red oak that would be 47lb. Sounds about right.
  7. eyekode

I am not sure any equipment exists that would help with this short of a huge bed cnc. But it is very doable with a router sled regardless of size. And you can make your own with very few tools required. That is how I built my table. Salem
  8. eyekode

My friend had it in is garage from a yard tree. He wasn't even sure where he got it from. I put it in my garage and stubbed my toe on it for a few years until I finally had the idea for the table :). Red oak would look great I am sure! I know Scott focuses on the really big ones. But I'll drop...
  9. eyekode

My wife has put in an order for another table like this: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/need-suggestions-for-finish-on-funky-end-grain-table.69173/ Any suggestions on where to find another slab like this? The original is about 4" think and probably ash. I don't really care...
  10. eyekode

Router bit for flattening slabs?

I'll tell you the wrong way to do it: I used a simple 3/4" plunge bit. Took quite some time to finish! https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/need-suggestions-for-finish-on-funky-end-grain-table.69173/#post-643571
  11. eyekode

Need suggestions for finish on funky end grain table

I ended up going with blo and a few layers of spar urethane. The directions said sand with 220 between coats but this left scratch marks. Oh well it is meant to be "rustic". Thanks for the help guys, I will post back in a few years to let you know how it lasted on my covered porch. I also...
  12. eyekode

Fred I thought epoxy would be the most durable but I didn't know how it would work at the edges with bark. I thought it would end up a drippy mess?
  13. eyekode

Chris this was exactly my thought!
  14. eyekode

I have almost finished sanding my funky end table: It will sit on my mostly covered front porch. When it is super windy some rain may splash in it. Also in some seasons I need to be careful to avoid mold as under the porch gets very little sun. I have spent hours sanding the top to really...
  15. eyekode

End grain table: how to stabilize checks?

They don't all look this but I love how this one looks: Lots of sanding left to do :(
  16. eyekode

Shop Build

Sooo jealous. Congrats! And thanks for posting all the in process pics! I hope to one day follow in your footsteps :)
  17. eyekode

Some progress: I filled the checks with epoxy and coffee grounds. Then I turned some legs, drilled some through holes and test fit: The top is 4" thick and the holes are 2" wide. I drilled them over 3 days time with a forstner bit. I drilled 1/2" at a time, vacuumed the shavings and walked...
  18. eyekode

Thanks guys. I will start with epoxy and see if I need more drastic steps. I like how butterflies look in long grain slabs but not sure they will look great in this project anyway.
  19. eyekode

About 5 years ago a friend gave me a disk cut from a tree he had taken down. This weekend I got around to flattening it. There are some checks in it, but they don't go all the way through. I was debating how to stabilize them. I could do butterflies. But was wondering if just epoxy would be...
  20. eyekode

Kitchen island progress

The stove deserves a separate review! It is very nice. The burners are wonderful. The broiler in the large oven is fantastic. The spacing between burners is great too . My wife loves the small oven because it heats up so fast. I like the griddle but it is slow to heat up and slow to cool. Plus...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS