Search results

1. D

Entry Level Wood Lathe

Hello there! I've currently got the Goodwill Lathe. Not sure about the list. Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been busier than ever with my kids at home and can't check the forum often. Been harder than ever to get shop time!
  2. D

Getting protective masks to those who need them most.

Thanks Steve. I don't imagine they're still out there anymore but I'll check!
  3. D

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/UnderstandDifferenceInfographic-508.pdf Hi Jeff, Believe it or not, even the simple dust masks will help in the hospital setting these days. When worn by the patient, they work to limit the spread of infectious droplets out into the air. For the doctors...
  4. D

Hello all, I know I'm not the only one who has a family member in healthcare. My wife currently works at several hospitals in the Raleigh area including UNC Rex, and Wake Med. As you've probably heard, there is an every increasing need for protective masks, N-95 rated, or even just plain dust...
  5. D

Knew Concepts saw

Just my 2 cents. I have the 5 in. rotating blade. Havnig a rotating blade has been great. It makes the depth of the throat somewhat irrelevant since when you rotate the blade, you can work as deep as you need to. It's terrific for dovetails and saves me a lot of time cleaning up.
  6. D

Dont know how long this will last. Jet 12" parallel clamps.

So, yeah. Same here. Just got a notice that the order will be cancelled in a couple weeks if the seller doesn't ship the clamps. I'm not holding my breath
  7. D

Bandsaw drift

oh, i see. Well then you're screwed. ;-)
  8. D

Bandsaw drift

I'm far from an expert on Bandsaws but I'd suggest instead of centering the blade on the wheels, try centering the gullet of the blade instead. The blade as a whole might appear slightly too far back, but it's corrrect. Check youtube for 'Snodgrass bandsaw' or go here . He explains the...
  9. D

OK. How did they make this simple thing?

Yeah, that's interesting. I suppose they could've glued a portion along the slot near the center (to allow for a little movement of the boards), or perhaps the wedging action of the dovetail maybe holds it all together w/o glue. Mine hasn't gotten here yet, but I'll let you know when it does.
  10. D

Yep. Jeff confirmed first hand it is. You win the prize!
  11. D

Hey Jeff, That's great info. Thank you! So you're seeing that the dovetailed battens to all the work to keep the pieces together? (i.e. no glue, etc). If so, I wonder how they held the wood together when initially cutting the sliding dovetail. Maybe clamped it all while square. Anyway...
  12. D

Hasn't arrived yet. Mid August. Yes ChaseVintage
  13. D

These are vintage items that were actually used to by bakers to prepare, slice and/or serve their bread. Some people might just hang them on the wall, I suppose. It might also be used as a 'peel', which is the thing bakers use to scoot under the bread to get it out of the oven (but I'm not sure...
  14. D

Got this one below on Etsy. It's not made by "Hungarian Artisans" like the pottery barn one touts!
  15. D

So, I bit the bullet and bought one online to get a closer look. I'll report back what I learn. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.
  16. D

I could be wrong, but on that board it looks a bit like the batten itself might be tapered. I'm going in circles on this! o_O
  17. D

Yep. That's them. I see the battens, and it does look like they're not dovetailed (at least not on the bottom pic). Though curiously, they do sit proud of the edge of the board which says 'wood movement' to me. If they weren't so pricey, I might just buy one and figure it out!
  18. D

Yes. Saw on etsy. They didn’t know wood species or construction method. They just got them from a very old French bakery. Was thinking glue might be a problem as it would not allow a wood movement.
  19. D

I suppose. I guess i should give those early craftsman more credit.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS