Search results

1. JohnW

Seeking ideas for table saw out feed table

My outfeed table is on casters and has a 2.5" overhang for clamping and includes space underneath to store shorts. So it functions for storage, outfeed and assembly. I find it very useful to be able to roll it to the middle of shop so I have access from all 4 sides. Makes glue-ups and...
  2. JohnW

Little Box

Curly Zebra Wood looks amazing. Well done Dan.
  3. JohnW

More Changes to Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Hours - Sort of!

I was at your Charlotte store... Dang Coleman, come back. We really want you back. ;) I'll be in Cary soon and will visit.
  4. JohnW

Mother's day frame - cherry and paper cord

That's awesome Bradley. I really like the concept and execution. Thanks for sharing.
  5. JohnW

Cherry Headboard

Thanks Jeremy. My wife thinks I occasionally take too long on a project. Well, now I can show her how long it took you and try to explain that it is normal. BTW, Headboard looks great.
  6. JohnW

Flatbed trailer boards need replaced

I'd stick with white oak. Pine not strong enough to take trailer abuse but that also depends on what you're hauling and how hard you use the trailer.
  7. JohnW

New bandsaw - hurry up and wait.

Congrats on the new BS. You're going to love it.
  8. JohnW

Drum sanders, Jet, performax et al....

Several folks have already mentioned this but I'll highlight it because I've had similar results as you and this really helped. Speed up the feed rate. This advice seemed counterintuitive to me at first but on high sugar content woods like maple and cherry, it helped reduce burning and gum...
  9. JohnW

Black Walnut Floating Top End Table

Love the design and build pictures Jeremy. Like how you arranged the grain patterns. I've had the same issues with epoxy fills. Depending on brand and formulation, epoxy requires special prep before finishing. Consult the manufacturer and see what they recommend. It typically includes...
  10. JohnW

Quarantine Rocker Finished!

Good Grief Steve, that is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the three species after the finish goes on. Should be spectacular.
  11. JohnW

Portable Dust Collector for sale

Monroe is a suburb of Charlotte.;)
  12. JohnW

Portable Dust Collector for sale

Hey Big Ron and Matt. I go to Washington/Beaufort area frequently to visit friends and family. Was planning a trip next week but that's off until the virus situation calms down. But if you decide to buy it from Matt, I can pony express it your way next time I go. I live fairly close to Matt.
  13. JohnW

Band Saw - Minimax S45 - 18" Bandsaw - $600 (Charlotte, NoDa)

Minimax is a darn good saw BUT the S45 came with an awesome fence and rail system that is not shown in the picture. He may have removed it but when inquiring, ask if he has the fence and rails. I he has them, this is a good deal. Wish I needed a bandsaw...
  14. JohnW

A BIG SHOUT OUT TO ETHAN!

Thank you Bruce for the shout out to Ethan. I miss his well researched and thought out posts. Also commend him for his honesty and strength in sharing a bit of his story with us, his fellow wood workers. Ethan's advice has helped me numerous times. I'm grateful for his input and my hope is...
  15. JohnW

Dust collection on a radial arm saw

Pop, I built a prototype dust collector for my RAS and it worked so well I just left it in place and never prettied it up. I try and remember to take a photo and post tomorrow. You are welcome to stop by and check it out. I'm in Charlotte off of N Sardis Rd.
  16. JohnW

Moving to Matthews

Welcome to NCWW Chuck. I live on the Matthews/Charlotte border. Still have my fishing kayaks although they don't get used much anymore.
  17. JohnW

WTB a small quantity of Sodium Nitrite.

Make an iron oxide solution by putting a piece of steel wool (OOOO is good size to use) in a jar of white vinegar. You could get by with a small piece of OOOO steel wool in a cup of vinegar. Vinegar dissolves the steel wool completely in 6-7 days but 1 or two days is all that's needed for...
  18. JohnW

Wet sanding water based finishes

FWIW I use both oil and water base finishes depending on application. Water based allowed much faster buildup, muck less VOC and fume issues, easy cleanup and when desired, crystal clear finush. Most of my projects are rubbed out from 4-O steel wool to pumice to rottenstone. The water base...
  19. JohnW

Need suggestions for finish on funky end grain table

If you want the finish to last a long time, I'd recommend using epoxy as the first coat. Does not have to be a thick coat, just a thin wash/fill application. It seals the wood better than anything I know for outdoor applications and will fill in the cracks. The epoxy will sag down in the...
  20. JohnW

Long counter top glue-up

Doug fir cuts like butter on a table saw. For jointing, I'd set up your TS to support the long boards and run them through or glue opposite sides up to eliminate any angle offset in case your blade is not 90 degree perfect. I've done this with 12' long cherry and joint came out perfect using a...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS