For the Birds!

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
We had our monthly BHOA (Bird Home Owners Association) meeting yesterday. It seems the birds are on this all natural kick now days and are demanding better housing. Frankly, they've had it with the cookie-cutter cracker boxes. I told them I would see what I could do. Pictured is the prototype we proposed to the flock. As usual the Mockingbirds were the first to chirp up. They were mocking the roof, saying it doesn't really blend well with the design theme. Perhaps they're right, but I'm tempted to just tell them to go eat worms.

1683833939710.png

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Which reminds me, I need to build some more bluebird houses. The little turd-birds can gripe all they want, but they're getting the base model.

Kirk S

Kirk
User
Thanks for making me laugh this morning. Maybe just adding an edge detail to the roof will make it acceptable to the birds.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Well I made a new model with the roof improvements and the BHOA approved it today. However, those uppity bluebirds apparently have been surfing the internet. Now they want some upgrades done to the interior space. Just look at what they are proposing. I told the wife it was a bad idea to give them our wifi password!

1683921409675.png

1683921483057.png

I'm going to need a bigger log.
1683921542006.png

fjdog

New User
Roland
Does anyone know where I can find measurements for bird houses that are preferred by various NC species? I wanted to knock one out this weekend for a mother-in-law present.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have volunteered with the Eastern Blue Bird Recuse Group in Warrenton, NC. We have made over 300,000 houses. We make our housed out of 5/4" pine stair tread material using a design similar to the above plans. The holes size more than anything else determines what birds will us the house. Also, never ever paint or stain or apply a wood preservative to the inside of the house or the edges of the hole.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I have volunteered with the Eastern Blue Bird Recuse Group in Warrenton, NC. We have made over 300,000 houses.
Wow! I see on the site your group can make 1300 in a day. That’s impressive. Thanks for the link.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow! I see on the site your group can make 1300 in a day. That’s impressive. Thanks for the link.
Actually, it is in about 4 hours, but all the parts are precut and there are 16-18 volunteers using pneumatic nail guns and assembly jigs.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have volunteered with the Eastern Blue Bird Recuse Group in Warrenton, NC. We have made over 300,000 houses. We make our housed out of 5/4" pine stair tread material using a design similar to the above plans. The holes size more than anything else determines what birds will us the house. Also, never ever paint or stain or apply a wood preservative to the inside of the house or the edges of the hole.
.....But I do put tar paper under the shingle roof (seriously).

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Does anyone have a document or site that shows what size hole to use for different species of birds?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors