Recommendations for General Purpose Handyman

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Good morning folks - we are in the process of remodeling a small bathroom. We have someone for plumbing and tile work. I'm looking for suggestions in the Winston Salem area for a handyman type of worker for things like scraping a popcorn ceiling, painting, applying base moulding, recessing a medicine cabinet, etc. Preferably someone who has done a lifetime of this type of work and now wants some extr cash.

Thanks for amny suggestions
Rick

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Good morning folks - we are in the process of remodeling a small bathroom. We have someone for plumbing and tile work. I'm looking for suggestions in the Winston Salem area for a handyman type of worker for things like scraping a popcorn ceiling, painting, applying base moulding, recessing a medicine cabinet, etc. Preferably someone who has done a lifetime of this type of work and now wants some extr cash.

Thanks for amny suggestions
Rick
Still looking for suggestions/recommendations. I would rather get some recommendations from folks here versus random CL picking. This would be in the Winston Salem area.

Thanks
Rick

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Got any full service hardware stores close by? When I WAS in business, many times the store owners recomended me to potential customers.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Every one I ever hired was terrible. So I do almost everything myself. Not that I am much better, but I can only blame myself and not what it cost. Rushing to get everything in the house done so we can enjoy it and while I still can do the work. It is getting harder.
FWIW, I have a whole house of popcorn. Unpainted fortunately so a slight mist and it scrapes off. Messy, but doing better mud work on a ceiling is not my idea of fun.

ZERO luck on CL, HA or AL. Zero. Might hang out at the local Home Despot and look for a truck that looks like they are in serious business. You can tell a lot by their truck if they care about anything.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just removed 1500 sqft of popcorn ceiling. I am using LED strip lighting around the perimeter of the ceiling which will show any imperfection in the surface. I hired a finisher to put a level 5 surface on the ceiling - this means skimming the entire surface with joint compound. This process requires the finisher to be on stilts and I will not get back on them ever. A good finisher and helper will run $50/hour. 15 buckets of mud later, I am now ready for paint.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Thnks for the info - I did find someone. When we first moved to nc our realtor gave us the name of a guy who does all kinds of work. He is pretty good at m/ost everything. I was finally able to get a hold of him (being busy is a good sign). He gave us an estimate - higher than I wanted but my wife says I need to shop more :). at this point I was glad to get someone to show up - several folks said they would be there at a certain time and never showed up.

Rick

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I was lucky when I bought, my sisters neighbor just moved here and was starting up. Master plumber but exceptional carpenter. So he did the inspection punch list and I had him build my deck before he had to move back to NY. So in my own now.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS