Festool TS 55 EQ concerns?

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’ve been talking with a guy about buying his Festool TS55. He’s asking $350 (includes 55” track and systainer), so I jumped on it and am meeting him tomorrow morning. Does anyone have experience with the EQ? Looks like they haven’t made that model in a good number of years. Is there any reason to be concerned with that model and does $350 sound too high? It was the predecessor to the REQ that is sold now.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
$350 is probably a reasonable price for the saw and 55" rail.

The newer model REQ with a 55" rail is also $690.

I saw that one on amazon too but from what I read earlier the EQ model was discontinued a few years ago for the REQ so I think someone just has it listed in the wrong spot. I don’t think this is quite the steal I was originally hoping but doesn’t seem too bad either.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's still about half the price of a new REQ with a 55" track. No, it's not a steal but a fairly priced buy.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I got it. Definitely not a “steal” but works well. Guy sold this one when he upgraded to the 75. Pretty well used but everything functions like it’s supposed to. I have been waiting/looking for one for a couple of years. I am insulating my garage and installing osb on the walls. Got fed up manhandling sheets to my table saw. After a good cleaning/disinfecting yesterday I got it up and running and can’t believe how easy breaking down sheets is with it. It definitely won’t replace my table saw but it’s going to change the way I do several things in the shop now.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Nice. You'll eventually want another track to attach to make 8' cuts.

I actually have 2 long ones and 1 short one that gives me ability to make straight rips on 10' rough lumber - very handy!!

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
Nice. You'll eventually want another track to attach to make 8' cuts.

I actually have 2 long ones and 1 short one that gives me ability to make straight rips on 10' rough lumber - very handy!!

He had another 55” rail he was looking to sell too but I maxed out my tool budget on the saw and 1 track. I would love to get the 110” but my god they’re expensive. Buying that track new would cost me as much as I paid for the whole set up. Have any of you used the connectors with 2 smaller ones? Is it close to as accurate as just the longer one? I’ve read the makita rails are identical but much cheaper. Reviews seem to be mixed in them especially the long one, saying they have issues with how straight they are and flatness.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I bought a smaller used track on EBay. I connect it to my 55 track for plywood. I can break down a sheet of plywood on my own, I just can’t get it off the truck and into my shop.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A 55" plus a 55" = 9'. An additional 55" track is $145 from Festool. The connectors work fine to join two tracks together.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I bought a smaller used track on EBay. I connect it to my 55 track for plywood. I can break down a sheet of plywood on my own, I just can’t get it off the truck and into my shop.

Would you say the cut is close to as straight when connecting 2 tracks together Vs 1 long track? Do you use any of the accessories like parallel guide system or track square? I’m sure it’s just like anything where they are just time savers. Just trying to figure out if any are worth looking into sooner than later.

DavidK

New User
David
You can align the tracks using the Makita or even Grizzly connectors. Just use a long straight edge when bolting them together. But you need to spend a bit of time making sure the rails are aligned.

If you want things to be quick, fast and easy, get the TSO connectors: GRC-12 Self-Aligning Guide Rail Connectors

I also have the TSO guide square, which is really nice: GRS-16 Guide Rail Square

Their stuff is expensive, but really nice.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have the 55 EQ and two tracks at I connect together with no problems. I use this saw to cut window kits into commercial doors, so it is cutting 1 3/4 thick particle board - with a sharp blade it is no problem. While the dust collection is great, I am most impressed with the ability of the Festool tracks to stay where you put them without having to use clamps. I routinely cut very expensive doors and have never had the track move, I do not even own the special clamps. Great product

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
My experience with the saw is the same as Phil has described.. I join my two tracks and cut whatever I need. The cut line is good enough that with a sharp blade I can skip the jointer (on oak, cherry, and walnut). Used it to put the first true edge on and entire kitchen worth of face frames with no issues.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Love my Festool, I bought a bunch of tracks and the joining pieces, and as long as your careful and make sure it's straight, joining 2 together is fine. I did splurge and get me the 106" because I had a project that had a ton of cutting down 1.5" mahogany doors, and it was just easier to have the long track. And I like the small one for some quick cuts, and I did get the 55" when I need to cut down 4" wide boards. So there is a use for each size track, and I like to grab the size I need and get cutting versus taking the time to combine to tracks together.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Would you say the cut is close to as straight when connecting 2 tracks together Vs 1 long track? Do you use any of the accessories like parallel guide system or track square? I’m sure it’s just like anything where they are just time savers. Just trying to figure out if any are worth looking into sooner than later.
The cut is straight and I made the connector. I use a framing square to set up, nothing special. I do own and use the special clamps but they are the Dewalt brand. Same thing, better price.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I also have the 55 EQ and two tracks at I connect together with no problems. I use this saw to cut window kits into commercial doors, so it is cutting 1 3/4 thick particle board - with a sharp blade it is no problem. While the dust collection is great, I am most impressed with the ability of the Festool tracks to stay where you put them without having to use clamps. I routinely cut very expensive doors and have never had the track move, I do not even own the special clamps. Great product

Phil, funny you say that you use it to cut in light kits. I had guys onsite doing that last week and I showed them track saw videos. They do a great job but it takes them forever to set up. It was actually what triggered me to look around again for one.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
You can align the tracks using the Makita or even Grizzly connectors. Just use a long straight edge when bolting them together. But you need to spend a bit of time making sure the rails are aligned.

If you want things to be quick, fast and easy, get the TSO connectors: GRC-12 Self-Aligning Guide Rail Connectors

I also have the TSO guide square, which is really nice: GRS-16 Guide Rail Square

Their stuff is expensive, but really nice.

I had already added the track square to my purchase next list. Are the TSO connectors really that accurate that you don’t need a straightedge?

DavidK

New User
David
Yes, the TSO connectors are accurate and I do not use a straightedge unless I am doing something that requires absolute perfection. I would double check in that case, but they have been accurate every time so far. That being said, I have only had them for a few months.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS