Just found the Who we are but been here awhile

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I'm not new to the site but just found where to post this.

I'm newish to all this. It started when my brother told me I needed to make a better display of my military memorabilia. It was on clear acrylic in my built in book case but since you could see through it all it did not display well. That lead to crude trays and wooden angle brackets and many holes in the side wall of the book case making adjustments. Needless to say it was not perfect but what is?

Boxes and frames as needed or asked for by my brother has been my main thing right now. I did build my bench with drawers under it and a down draft sanding station with drawers, miter stand with storage under and so on until now I sit trying to dial and redial the miter saw which I think is now done as is the miter gauge. Who knew all squares are not square.

Anyway, 10 years in the Corps, over 30 self employed, 15 years in scouting as a leader, a few years of poor golfing, 5 years fly fishing and now wood working at almost 60 years young.

My hope is to stay here with wood and maybe fish and backpack a little more. You can keep the golf. It's easier to find square than a consistent game.

I have great tools bought discounted when my Uncle moved plus what my dad had and what I can scrounge up when my cash reserve envelope is full, currently at $9.00 after a Friday night binge buying spree for things on my list.

My other hope is to replace my night stands, entertainment center, coffee and end tables. I just need a good plan or design, which I'm trying to get better at. I follow directions better than design and plan.

Sorry for being long winded. I just did a teaching session with Mike so he can attest to the fact that I can talk. 2 hours became 4 real fast. What a wealth of knowledge. My planes now cut wood. What a concept. Chisels are next.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
My other hope is to replace my night stands, entertainment center, coffee and end tables. I just need a good plan or design, which I'm trying to get better at. I follow directions better than design and plan.
Sometimes finding the right plans is hard, especially if your taste in furniture is different from whatever is currently in fashion. Peruse furniture in stores or antique shops. When you find a piece you like, make some measurements and take a few pics. Alter dimensions to suit your needs.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Glad to meet you Jim.

The only hobby I really know that can consume both thought and time as much as woodworking is fly tying. Hope you aren't dually addicted already.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Sometimes finding the right plans is hard, especially if your taste in furniture is different from whatever is currently in fashion. Peruse furniture in stores or antique shops. When you find a piece you like, make some measurements and take a few pics. Alter dimensions to suit your needs.
Thanks, I have been looking at wood that way ever since I started. Seeing how it was matched or not, assmebled etc..My taste varies but I'll dial it in at some point. Right now I'll take a tight miter without glue and sawdust in it. Lol

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Glad to meet you Jim.

The only hobby I really know that can consume both thought and time as much as woodworking is fly tying. Hope you aren't dually addicted already.
Not yet, never did the fly tying but can appreciate what it takes. I found my granddad tying gear and set up but unfortunately it got dried out and I just bought the Flys. Not many things more peaceful than standing In a river listening to the riffles as the fish laugh at you..

Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS