Coin inlay with Epoxy

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I'm attempting to inlay a commemorative coin in the bottom of a cigar ashtray I'm making for a friend (Army Vet). I'm using Stone Coat Epoxy that is made to withstand high heat. I've done a test piece and can verify it hardens very clear and I think will hold up heat wise to a cigar ash. The coin will be inset into the wood so that the top of the coin is just below the wood surface.

My question for those that have done inlays filled with Epoxy is should I set the coin directly on the wood and then do the epoxy pour or do I pour epoxy and then set the coin in the epoxy and then continue to pour on to the right level? Does it matter either way? My concern was potentially trapping air under the coin that could potentially come out during the drying process. (Pic is the coin I'll be using)

Any suggestions on technique or process in doing this would be helpful, thanks.

Rick
IMG_1496.JPG

fjdog

New User
Roland
I'm attempting to inlay a commemorative coin in the bottom of a cigar ashtray I'm making for a friend (Army Vet). I'm using Stone Coat Epoxy that is made to withstand high heat. I've done a test piece and can verify it hardens very clear and I think will hold up heat wise to a cigar ash. The coin will be inset into the wood so that the top of the coin is just below the wood surface.

My question for those that have done inlays filled with Epoxy is should I set the coin directly on the wood and then do the epoxy pour or do I pour epoxy and then set the coin in the epoxy and then continue to pour on to the right level? Does it matter either way? My concern was potentially trapping air under the coin that could potentially come out during the drying process. (Pic is the coin I'll be using)

Any suggestions on technique or process in doing this would be helpful, thanks.

Rick
View attachment 219014
Good question to ask before gluing the real coin. Perhaps try both ways on some scrap with a quarter?

RickR

Rick
Senior User
A small hole drilled through the base beneath the coin would allow any trapped air to escape

Robinsage0279

Mark
User
I don’t know about Stone Coat Epoxy but other epoxies would probably leak out the drilled hole. I use a slow cure epoxy and all the air bubbles slowly rise out the top. I do ‘flame’ the bubbles on top after an hour or so to pop the bubbles on the surface.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I've found it best to go just slightly deeper in the drilled out space and do an initial epoxy set of the coin using a small amount of epoxy to set the coin making sure that you pour a small amount in the hole and also coat the bottom of the coin with epoxy too. Then make sure that sets without bubbles. then lightly sand the top, clean with alcohol, and do a second pour for the final cover.

Don't try to make the coin too close to the surface of the piece. It actually looks a little odd usually when you hit it too close to the surface, almost as bad as too deep. I strive to be between 1/8 and 3/16 on stuff I've done.

And trying a different similar but less sentimental pour first is always a very good idea.

ednl

ed
Senior User
You might not think this could happen, but the coin will actually "float" to the surface of the epoxy. You need to anchor the coin to the wood before covering it with epoxy. Either use a drop of glue or a drop of epoxy to secure the coin in place. Once that is dry/cured then you can pour epoxy over the coin, as Matt describes above. Good luck.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
You could also do a light pour into the coin hole, and brush around with a brush. Use some heat to get the air bubbles out, and then before full set put your coin in. You can then pour the rest of your epoxy over it. The goal is to see the opened pore of the grain prior to the larger pour. When I do inlays for boards that I am going to completely cover in epoxy, I normally do a first light pour and spread it out and then heat to make the base stable, then pour the rest. Just my experience.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS