Farewell to NC

Richo B

New User
Richo
After twelve years at Tryon Palace I am leaving North Carolina at the end of the month for a new adventure in Knoxville, TN. I've been a part of NCWW since May 2015 when I discovered the group by accident while searching on-line for the answer to a question. I realized very quickly that I already knew of the group, as I had previously given a tour of my conservation lab to Joe Scharle, Ernie Miller and Allan of Little Washington. Certainly not as active as I could have been, I do have a lot of memories and lessons learned from this group for which I'm very thankful. Being the New Bern contingent I have organized several shop tours of both members and local artists. Below are a sampling of those memories:

NCWW Conserv Lab Tour_2.9.16.jpg

My volunteer Bill Witherup talking about tools used to build ten reproduction back stools at Tryon Palace conservation lab in early 2016
Maurice-Joe-Jay_Shop tour_11.18.17.jpg

Visit to Jay Manning (right) studio. Jay is a well known New Bern artist specializing in sculpture, painting, boat building and woodworking. 2017
Shop Class_NCWW visit_9.16.17_01.jpg

Visit to Shop Class owned by Mo Howland (right) with his instructor Joe Clay (left) Shop class opened in 2017 and Joe Scharle and I were at the opening (not this visit). Shop Class is a service that provides shop equipment and instruction on the same platform as having a membership at a gym. It easily survived through Covid and is still an active part of the community.
NCWW_Examining vases_2.4.17_04.jpg

We visited Ernie Miller's shop several times over the years. This is the 2017 visit where we first met Dee2. You can see a harpsichord to the right but Charlie and Leon with their creations are most visible in this photo along with members Matt Zettel and Joe Scharle.
IMG_20180519_163826163.jpg

In Spring 2018 my wife and I attended the Spring Picnic at Jordan Lake and went to visit Charlie Stickney. He gave my wife this beautiful creation.
Charlie_Shop Tour_2.2.19_04.jpg
Charlie_Segmented Ring_2.2.19_01.jpg

Shop tour in 2019 to Charlie's famous segmented turning factory. Many of you have seen this incredible process explained or taught during your time here.
Leon_Demonstrating rotater tool_2.2.19_03.jpg

That same day we went to visit his friend Leon's shop where he demonstrated chip carving and showed us the INCREDIBLE carvings he had done. Prior to that we had only seen the carvings he had added to Charlie's turnings. Leon's carvings spoke for themselves in a class of their own.

There were two smaller shop visits to Richo Woodworking and Don Sargent's 3D printing shop. I have also made visits to other shops including Stuart Kent's original North Carolina Furniture School shop in Winterville when it was just starting out. We've had Cove City turner Joe Riggs at Tryon Palace for turning demonstrations during a summer of woodworking programs surrounding a chair exhibit. I have also scheduled the New Bern Lunch Bunches for the past several years. Tomorrow I attend the last one of my time here.

An incredible ride, belonging to the North Carolina Woodworkers Network. Thanks to all who have helped me out, that I have met along the way. I will still be around on the Richo Woodworking YouTube channel and on Instagram at @richo_ww and @richo_b_art.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I left North Carolina 8 years ago. Miss many things. However, life, like time, moves forward.
No matter where you are at, participating here still makes you a part of the NCWW Family.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Richo,
Thank you for bringing back some of the past memories.
I wish you and yours the best in your new adventure.
Remember, you are only a post on NCWW, an e-mail or a phone call away.
Thanks for everything.
Charlie

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for your contributions to NCWW. You can and should remain a member here. you will find yourself welcome here anytime. Curious question are you going to continue your YouTube presence? I’d like to see you continue with it, with that share your adventures in your new home.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Thanks for your contributions to NCWW. You can and should remain a member here. you will find yourself welcome here anytime. Curious question are you going to continue your YouTube presence? I’d like to see you continue with it, with that share your adventures in your new home.
YouTube channel Richo Woodworking will continue in the new place. I'm going to post a video around Thanksgiving with news of that. I still have to finish Puzzle Box 5 and the 6th project which were both started here but had to be packed up. Plenty more to come on that end. Stay tuned.

Richo B

New User
Richo
No need to leave. We have members in several states. Stick around. ;)
As said by several of you, including site leaders, I will continue to monitor NCWW and let you know of my newest creations. I may also continue to ask questions as Instagram doesn't do as good a job with those as this group has. East Tennessee has a woodworking group that I will probably plug into in the new year. There are also restorers and furniture experts that I can get connected with in the Knoxville area. We are moving for my wife's work so I will be starting a new adventure indeed. May or may not remain in museums.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Richo,

You will be missed here at NCWW. Thanks for keeping our little group of merry woodworkers together for our (almost) monthly lunches. It won't be the same without you. I wish you the best of luck in your new adventures. Please continue to post here at NCWW and let us now how you're doing. See you tomorrow.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
While your shop location is changing, we all hope "Richo B" remains an active handle on this site. Your contributions have been, and will continue to be appreciated!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Remember that Knoxville is only a five hour drive ( I-40 east, to US 421 S @ Greensboro , US 421 S to Siler City, then east on US 64 E to Jordon Lake) for 2023 picnic. Some members here in NC have a longer drive.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
What is the wood sculpture in the middle of the turnings by Charlie? Chip carving?
That sculpture was a created by Leon Harkins (second from left) who passed away about a year ago. He was a master carver. Chip carving as well as sculpture carving. He could take a piece of firewood/driftwood/roots, etc. and turn in into a masterpiece. If I saw a piece of scrap wood, he could see a horse or fish, etc.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Knoxville to Sevierville is less than 30 miles. You need to pay a visit to Judy Gale Roberts studio. There are also a lot of WW in Gatlinburg. NCWW membership is for life.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Sorry to see you leaving Eastern NC, Richo, but best of luck in Knoxville. It is always exciting and inspiring to start a new chapter.

Matt

Richo B

New User
Richo
Remember that Knoxville is only a five hour drive ( I-40 east, to US 421 S @ Greensboro , US 421 S to Siler City, then east on US 64 E to Jordon Lake) for 2023 picnic. Some members here in NC have a longer drive.
Yeah and its only four hours to Winston Salem (same as from New Bern) so I can continue to meet up with my friends there.

Richo B

New User
Richo
That sculpture was a created by Leon Harkins (second from left) who passed away about a year ago. He was a master carver. Chip carving as well as sculpture carving. He could take a piece of firewood/driftwood/roots, etc. and turn in into a masterpiece. If I saw a piece of scrap wood, he could see a horse or fish, etc.
Leon's skill exceeded anything you could imagine, especially for a non-carver like myself. He showed us numerous examples of driftwood that he turned into things you often see in museums. I didn't realize he passed away but I remember you saying he wasn't in good shape last time I saw you.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS