Store for machine belts?

SamInDurm

New User
Sam
Hi All,

I'm building a jointer from plans I bought from Woodgears.ca. I tore down a Delta 12 1/2 in. planer for the cutterhead and motor, and he suggests "going to your local bearing store" with the old belt to pick up a longer belt that will determine where to mount the motor. Um, I don't actually have a preferred local bearing/machine belt store. Any suggestions? I live in Durham. I was thinking Grainger but they're all the way in Raleigh.

Thanks,
Sam

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
They are drive belts usually with 3-4 grooves. Might be easier to find a auto pulleys that match the spindle dia. and convert to those. Then you can get parts easier.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
What about an adjustable link belt?

5FT Power Twist V-Belt 1/2-Inch x 5 Feet A Type, Adjustable Link V-Belt Perfect for Lathes, Table Saws and Other Woodworking Tools (Red) https://a.co/7SeRYnm

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I remember when that was “expensive” at $4 a foot. Now over $7 is a good price.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If you can not get an "ax" series from Gates, Daybo, Contenintal, Goodyear, you can find the "odd" size belts used in Chinese machines from D&D power. I think they are a little stiff, but at least the splice is smoth and they are the correct size. 3 in line in my table saw, all the same tension which was not true withthe OEM belts! Unlike cheap belts, they will be round and in multible, the same length, two featured Chinese belts have not been able to achieve. Drill presses and table saws the length needs to be correct. I added a block under the motor of my jointer so I could use a more readilly available size belt.

I prefer the cogged AX series because many/most woodworking machines violate the minimum sheave radius for standard V belts. AX can do a little better. The angle and width are correct for most machines.

Do be aware, there are many "series" of belts. Not just width but angle. Many of the link belts are not the correct angle. Also be aware, it is suggested the clone link belts are not of the same quality as the originals, so buyer be ware. It used to be the link color defines the angle/series ( blue/red/orange) but I am not sure if that is still valid.

Also be aware, there are two different measuring systems for belts. Outter length and running length. Some marked imported belts confuse these specs and are not the size you expected.

If you visit sites like Gates, you can learn all about belts.

Glad my BS used a modern multi-rib belt. Far superiour in almost all respects.

SamInDurm

New User
Sam
Thanks Scott and all for the suggestions. The belt from the planer is (by my measurement) 9/16 in. wide and generally flat in shape with 6 ridges on the inner surface. I'll try Grainger and Agrisupply next week.

cfield60

jeff
User
Hi All,

I'm building a jointer from plans I bought from Woodgears.ca. I tore down a Delta 12 1/2 in. planer for the cutterhead and motor, and he suggests "going to your local bearing store" with the old belt to pick up a longer belt that will determine where to mount the motor. Um, I don't actually have a preferred local bearing/machine belt store. Any suggestions? I live in Durham. I was thinking Grainger but they're all the way in Raleigh.

Thanks,
Sam
Amazon maybe??

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If your head uses the same type belt as my Delta lunch box does, then you are going to need either a multi rib, or notched belt. Auto parts stores stock many lengths of multi rib belts

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yea, Sam did clarify it is a multi-rib belt, which is very good. They run much smoother than a V belt. It should have the size marked on it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Looking at Woodgears plans, he needs a notched drive belt, similair to a timing belt, which may be another choice.

SamInDurm

New User
Sam
Hey all, just in case anyone ever needs this information, the belt I needed was a 6-rib (5 groove) poly-v belt that was 4/7 in. wide. I called AgriSupply and Grainger but they didn't have it. The Grainger folks were kind enough to direct me to "Motion Industries" in south Raleigh who got it in the next day from their Maryland warehouse for ~$20.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS