Finishing Workshop series

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Thank you for the feed back, I look forward to more, as folks run up on this post. The timing for these workshops would be on a Saturday, dates to be determined.
Place would be Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty NC. This pretty central to the locations around the state, and about 40 minutes from my home.
The cost is going to be based on cost of materials, with a donation to the site.
Lunch will a few dollar fee from all of us and Bill will call out for it.
I'm currently writing an out line on how many workshops this will cover, there so much that can be covered with each, even with some overlap this can make up a 6 or 7 hour workshop. I’m going to try and keep them in the 6 hour range.

A little about me and my finishing background, I have certifications with M.L.Campbell, Mohawk, and Marsh Furniture, in finishing and finish repair, with 40 years experience in manufacturing, installation, design, and troubleshooting. I would like to share some of this knowledge to help others become better and more comfortable with their finishing processes. This is another way to be creative with your woodworking. I’m excited to get started!
Great initiative!!

A great amount of effort that goes into making a masterpiece can be spoiled if it is not professionally finished. I'm sure everyone would benefit from your experience.

I'll never forget the first time I did a cabinet door in solid black, high gloss for someone. It took me a whole day and I still wasn't satisfied with the end result. Fast forward to today, its pretty much 10 minutes of work with an hour and a half for three drying times in-between from start to finish.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great initiative!!

A great amount of effort that goes into making a masterpiece can be spoiled if it is not professionally finished. I'm sure everyone would benefit from your experience.

I'll never forget the first time I did a cabinet door in solid black, high gloss for someone. It took me a whole day and I still wasn't satisfied with the end result. Fast forward to today, its pretty much 10 minutes of work with an hour and a half for three drying times in-between from start to finish.
yep, there is something to be said for jumping into the deep end. It’s a great teacher, and believe me I’ve been there. I worked with a gentleman who loved to challenge me. I’d tell him I didn’t know how to do something, he’d say,”No time like the present.” Then he’d cut me loose on the piece knowing I’d screw it up. I sure miss that old fellow.

Nancy H

New User
Nancy
I see a need for a finishing workshop. However, finishing is a broad subject. So we were thinking that we should do a series of hands on workshops, starting with French Polishing, moving to hand rubbed finishes, and then spray finish, all of these would cover surface preparation to the finished product. Cost of these workshops has yet to be determined. I would like to know the level of interest for this series of workshops. If you have an interest please say something so further planning can be undertaken.
I always feel that my finishes are the weakest part. I would definitely be up for these workshops! And Liberty would be extremely convenient for me.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I see a need for a finishing workshop. However, finishing is a broad subject. So we were thinking that we should do a series of hands on workshops, starting with French Polishing, moving to hand rubbed finishes, and then spray finish, all of these would cover surface preparation to the finished product. Cost of these workshops has yet to be determined. I would like to know the level of interest for this series of workshops. If you have an interest please say something so further planning can be undertaken.
I’d be in or French polishing and hand rubbed finishes.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok folks, after going through all the information that I know and referencing to several of the publications that I have and also brain storming with Bill Clemmons (be afraid, very afraid) I have come up with seven workshops breaking down multiple areas of interest to do with finishing.
First will be an Introduction to Wood Finishing.
This will be an overview of finishing as a whole. There will be examples of many of the products on the market today with sample boards showing the finished product.
We will do some hands-on durning this workshop, but we will not have time to go into depth in each category. This workshop is for folks who have limited to no experience with finishing.
This workshop will introduce the history of these finishes, the vocabulary, and a little of the chemistry. We will also cover the safe use of these products.
We would like to answer several basic questions, some are:
How do these finishes work?
Which finish do I need?
What tools do I need?
Which finish is the best?
How long will it take to finish my project?
Can I get professional results with limited skill and using big box store products?
And a host of other questions.
We would like to dispel many of the myths about finishing and finishing products.
We will discuss your working conditions, equipment needed, and potential costs so you can decide what’s best for you and your circumstances.
In this and all the workshops, we will cover surface preparation and all the steps in between.

This workshop will host 6 participants
The place will be at Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty NC
We would like to do this workshop on Saturday December 10, 2022
Cost will be a $40.00 donation to the NCWW. Appropriate PPE will be required (Respirator, disposable gloves, and wear appropriate clothing)

The following workshops will be a much more in-depth exploration of these finishes with more hands on skill building. They are designed for the folks who have some experience and would like to take the next step and up their game. The workshops are in order of easiest to hardest

Oils and Wiping Finishes
An in-depth look into the history and use of oils including oil blends with resin finishes. We will explore the levels of protection, ease of use and trouble shooting any problems that come with these types of finishes. We will also look at the clarity or the aesthetic value of these finishes. We will cover how to safely handle these products.

Film Building Finishes
An in-depth look into the history and use of resin based finishing products. We will explore the levels of protection, application, troubleshooting and how to safely use these products.
Finishes explored are:
Varnish
Shellac
Lacquer
Conversion finishes
Modified finishes

Spray Finishing
An in-depth look into spray finishing, its use, care and application.
We will look at where you spray
The equipment needed to spray
Air supply/ compressors or turbines
The types of spray guns and the applications
Which materials are suitable for spraying
Safety
Working with solvents

Dying/Staining/Coloring
We will explore the history of decorative coloring of wood and what’s available to use on the market today.
We will discuss dyes how and when to use. The pros and cons
We will cover the same with stains on how and when to use them, the pros and cons
Coloring or toning. We will explore what these products and techniques are, when to use them and how to apply.
You will get your hands dirty making some samples to get a feel of working with these products.

French Polishing
An in-depth exploration into everything Shellac, but even deeper into the French Polish techniques. We will look at its history, mystique and its use even today. Most of all we make a proper Rubber (Fad) and put it to use. We will start to build a finish on a board that you can then take with your Rubber home to explore further.

Finish Repair
In this workshop we will explore the good, the bad and the ugly of repairing damage to finishes. In each of the earlier workshops we will look at the repairability of all the finishes covered. But in this workshop we will actually try and make repairs in many of them. Some are easy to repair, some not so much. We will learn to test the finish to identify it. We will learn to assess how far we can go into a repair.

All workshops will be at Bill Clemmons Shop
The other dates are to be determined after the first of the year.
Workshop prices will be cost of the materials to put on the workshop and a donation to site. Total costs have yet to be determined.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Richard, I could send you my latest projects and you finish them for me as a demonstration............ :D:p ............ Love to attend .... kinda long drive though

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors