I need a new saw for cutting my bowl blanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Due to my hand injury I can't crank my Stihl chainsaw.
What is a good or best battery powered chainsaw?
I could get by with 110V on a cord but sometimes I need to clean up windblown limbs in the yard.
Are any of the battery chainsaws good enough to cut 12-16 inch thick wood once in a while?
I'm not cutting big piles of firewood anymore.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I have a 14" ryobi 40v that I like. Weight is good, the stock chain that comes with it is pretty terrible, but after you replace that its pretty good. Never going to be like a gas powered, but a good replacement for smaller work.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 40v Kobalt chainsaw. Its really made for limbs and branches. I have used it to cut through 12-16 inch stuff. Its just slow and you are only going to do that a couple of times before draining the battery. This was my first battery powered. I have been looking a little at the Stihl Battery Powered and will likely go that direct once my Kobalt dies.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the 80V Kobalt as I also have the 80V blower. Quite happy with it but I wish chain tension was tool-less.
I have had it several years and I suspect others have improved. E-go, Green Machines. and I forget which is partnered with Sthil. For occasional use, I guess even a Roybi would work. I would go for the bigger with higher voltage batteries. Might consider what else around the yard you could go cordless and pick the line that best serves you. I also run the Kobalt 40 V in string trimmer, pole saw, and hedge trimmer.

It does not cut as fast as my little Pulan, but it starts with the trigger every time.

I think I saw a Y-tube review but I did not watch. So many are bogus and rating based on what the box says or what they are paid to say.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an EGO 17" for the same purposes Mike is looking for - cutting blanks, limbs, clean up, without having to crank up my Stihl Farm Boss. The EGO will cut 12-16" hardwood with no problem and has a pretty good battery life, depending on what you're cutting. I'm very happy with it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Stihl electrics look good and it is a quality brand. Can't say for sure as I haven't used one yet. They also seem to have a good dealer network that supports them. They're sold in most of the farm supply stores around here.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The Stihl electrics look good and it is a quality brand. Can't say for sure as I haven't used one yet. They also seem to have a good dealer network that supports them. They're sold in most of the farm supply stores around here.
Ego I think. Stihl bought into them as a joint venture. Probably slightly different than their own branded tools. I could have them confused with Green Machines. Anyway, the two big hitters.

JaredG

New User
Jared
I have the Greenworks 40 V 16 inch Model #20312. I like it but have no point of comparison. I already owned their lawnmower and weedwhacker so I stuck with the platform.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i bought an older version of this greenworks saw in 2018 and it has served me well. given the infrequency i use it i couldn't justify the extra cost to go battery.

Greenworks 10.5 Amp 14-Inch Corded Chainsaw 20222​

71awL2bEhKL._AC_SX679_.jpg

ssmith

New User
Scott
Can’t comment on Greenworks chainsaws but +1 on their tools.

We have their 60V push mower and it’s well-built and has worked flawlessly.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, I have a Makita 16" cordless chainsaw. It uses 2 18v batteries. I have recently been using it to cut up some parts of a large oak I had taken down. i can cut up 36" diameter logs by going from both sides. The batteries last long enough for me to do several cuts on the big stuff and a lot of smaller cuts on branches. I went with Makita because I think their quality is higher than Ryobi and I didn't know how well the other brands were built. Also I didn't want a 56v or 80v chainsaw because those boogers are heavy.

Roy G

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
While I have not yet made a purchase, The reviews I have read gave Stihl the highest praises and said it felt the most like the gas powered. Of course, Stihl is the most pricey if I remember right.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Stay away from Worx. Bad chain alignment management. I like the Makita I've borrowed from the neighbor a couple of times. Saves me from firing up the Poulan gas fired one for just a few deadfalls.

If you need any worx batteries I have a couple of them and a charger sitting here you could have for just coming over an picking them up.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Stay away from Worx. Bad chain alignment management. I like the Makita I've borrowed from the neighbor a couple of times. Saves me from firing up the Poulan gas fired one for just a few deadfalls.

If you need any worx batteries I have a couple of them and a charger sitting here you could have for just coming over a picking them up.
But… you just said stay away from WORX.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
While I have not yet made a purchase, The reviews I have read gave Stihl the highest praises and said it felt the most like the gas powered. Of course, Stihl is the most pricey if I remember right.
I have been very loyal to Stihl. $700 is a bit steep so I’m wondering if a smallish one would be usable. They have one for about $400.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Can’t comment on Greenworks chainsaws but +1 on their tools.

We have their 60V push mower and it’s well-built and has worked flawlessly.
One of my local friends has a green works pole saw and swears by it, not at it. But, I saw some bad reviews.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
One of my local friends has a green works pole saw and swears by it, not at it. But, I saw some bad reviews.
I think Greenworks and EGO are two brands to look at - I swear by (not at) our EGO blower... but a blower is MUCH different from a chainsaw...

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mike I have a elec Worx and it works fabulous.....I would buy another one in a heartbeat

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS