New 3M sander ENDED

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have a $60 (?) DeWalt ROS and it needs a replacement hook/loop pad. Not sure what the OEM pad runs, or if there is a "better" option . But all I know is, I hate my DeWalt (now?), because any/all sanding discs don't stick and I can't get anything sanded

Good excuse to buy a $200+++ sander? Lol

Also, my DeWalt wobbles a lot, especially when i turn it off. Sorta, flops around..
New pads are not expensive. I think something like $12. Get the white "brake" ring while you are at it so they will orbit, not spin. They don't last either. Get several to save shipping.

My wobble is the shaft is not perpendicular to the disk, so while sanding, it is rocking back and forth in my hand. My big Bosch does not. Neither does my $12 "mouse" I suspect the newer version is improved from mine. It seems to be the preferred mid-range if you believe any reviews, but with DeWalt so often showing up top, and I have hated every DeWalt I ever got, I suspect they are just paid advertisements.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
New pads are not expensive. I think something like $12. Get the white "brake" ring while you are at it so they will orbit, not spin. They don't last either. Get several to save shipping.

My wobble is the shaft is not perpendicular to the disk, so while sanding, it is rocking back and forth in my hand. My big Bosch does not. Neither does my $12 "mouse" I suspect the newer version is improved from mine. It seems to be the preferred mid-range if you believe any reviews, but with DeWalt so often showing up top, and I have hated every DeWalt I ever got, I suspect they are just paid advertisements.
Not sure what white brake ring you are referencing...

I have my eyes on 1 new dewalt hook\loop pad.. $15 shipped?

smurg

New User
Marty
Also, most manufacturers will offer the pads in a variety of stiffness. If you sand edges a lot or want to ensure table tops are smoother, grab the stiff pad. Standard on most sanders I've seen is either a mid-range or soft pad.

Johnathon

J Flip
User
I recently got a 6" Ridgid on sale for $40 at DTO: Direct Tools Outlet Site.

I'm riding high after using an old Porter Cable. Hardly any dust when I hook up the Ridgid using the cubitron discs. It runs much smoother than anything I've used before. But I piddle and can't spend $300. Never seen a mirka or festool in person.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see it at $554.99 on the Taylor Toolworks website...

Full disclosure, I am not a Festool expert and not sure what model would compare, but
the Festool 5" ETS REQ is only $215 and the 5" Rotex is only $549.
ALL expensive sanding tools, but I personally think of Festool as kind of the "Gold Standard" and a competitor (and a late entry at that) with that price range better have a value proposition that defeats any "Why" argument... I don't see it... now maybe if you had a 3M and Festool side by side comparison, who knows maybe that would be a clear winner?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Still sold out. Price went up.
Yes, but if on their waiting list, they promised an e-mail and offer at the original price.

And yea, looked at a ETS REQ. Looks very nice but I an concerned with their reliability record. I gather you can use Klingspor or 3M mesh on it and not pay the outrageous price for their disks.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Note that the power switch is on the top of the sander. One complaint I've heard about that style is that you have to move the sander to your other hand after using it and before you set it down to make sure it stops spinning. But I've also heard that it is more comfortable to use with the power switch there.
That would be my biggest hesitation. Air sanders are made the same way. Takes some getting use to.

I love my ETS125 and if I get another sander it will be Festool.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I gather you can use Klingspor or 3M mesh on it and not pay the outrageous price for their disks.

Yes, Klingspor makes discs in the Festool hole pattern that are very reasonably priced. Of course the mesh works too and those Xtract discs are awesome. Outside of build quality, the thing that stands out to me most about Festool sanders is dust collection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS