New Box

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I just finished a new box. It's Claro Walnut with curly maple interior and accents. I inlaid the top with a Turkish walnut book-matched veneer. I also lined the top and bottom with pig skin suede. The hinges and lid support are from Brusso, and the full mortise lock is a "Smartlock" from Smartboxmaker.com. I must say this lock is a thing of beauty. It is precisely machined and an absolute breeze to install (router table), albeit a tad expensive. I finished the box with 2-3 coats of Odie's Dark oil.

IMG_2691.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2696.JPG

Last edited:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Did you say 49.50 Pounds for a lock? How much was the tad (U$D) after delivery and taxes and such?
Charles, I bought 4* of the SmartLock, full mortice locks, before the price increase at 48GB which works out to $59/per lock. Flat rate shipping @ ~ $9.00. Horton Brasses sells their 1/2 mortice box lock LK-24 Small Box Lock at $62.89 +S&H $16.57. So $59.00 + $2.25 S&H/per = $61.25/per lock, albeit a tad expensive. When you compare the rough casting and unpolished surface of the Horton 1/2 mortice lock to the SmartLock, using the SmartLock is a no-brainer.

* I bought 4 because I have a commission for 3 boxes like the one pictured.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS