New 3M sander ENDED

smurg

New User
Marty
Thanks, much appreciated. Would you recommend one of these? I've always used fairly cheap Bosch sanders but my current one is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm thinking about getting something better rather than another disposable.

If you aren't looking to break into the 6" realm, the 125 REQ-Plus is "just" $215. I upgraded my $50 Bosch to it and can use it for up to an hour or so with limited residual vibration feeling in my hands.

Normally that would happen pretty quickly with the cheapies.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
TBH I use the Knock-off
for larger sandings, it has a 5mm orbit which makes fast sanding. It also has low vibration in the hand.
For larger work it is comparable to any other high end imho. But for just touch up I use the cordless.
Would I recommend, yeah absolutely. Just remember, I am not a production shop so my experience is through that lens.

Last edited:

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
If you aren't looking to break into the 6" realm, the 125 REQ-Plus is "just" $215. I upgraded my $50 Bosch to it and can use it for up to an hour or so with limited residual vibration feeling in my hands.

Normally that would happen pretty quickly with the cheapies.
Interesting. I try to minimize sanding, so I don't think there's a lot of incentive to go to 6". Does the festool take proprietary paper, or does standard 5x8 work? There are some things I don't like about the festool "thing." I know they're quality tools but the thought of $1500 chop saws and the like just makes me more than a little skeptical about whether you're paying for the name as much as anything else.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
TBH I use the Knock for larger sandings, it has a 5mm orbit which makes fast sanding. It also has low vibration in the hand.
For larger work it is comparable to any other high end imho. But for just touch up I use the cordless.
Would I recommend, yeah absolutely. Just remember, I am not a production shop so my experience is through that lens.
Okay, thanks. And FWIW my shop is as far from a production shop as it gets, especially if you ask my wife about how long it takes me to finish projects. I like the idea of having a better sander, not just for the speed and results but for dust collection, vibration, etc. The biggest draw for me on this style is the 5mm orbit. It seems like everything below this level is in the 2mm range.

smurg

New User
Marty
Interesting. I try to minimize sanding, so I don't think there's a lot of incentive to go to 6". Does the festool take proprietary paper, or does standard 5x8 work? There are some things I don't like about the festool "thing." I know they're quality tools but the thought of $1500 chop saws and the like just makes me more than a little skeptical about whether you're paying for the name as much as anything else.
Paper will be different, but I've moved to the mesh paper partly for that reason. Other reason is the big name mesh (mirka, 3m, klingspor) is their top of the line paper also.

I had some swirls using Freud Sandnet at 60 grit until it broke in a little and I noticed some grit fall off. A bit cheaper than the other options though but for a good reason.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Paper will be different, but I've moved to the mesh paper partly for that reason. Other reason is the big name mesh (mirka, 3m, klingspor) is their top of the line paper also.

I had some swirls using Freud Sandnet at 60 grit until it broke in a little and I noticed some grit fall off. A bit cheaper than the other options though but for a good reason.
Yeah, I use the mesh paper frequently but I'm sitting on a stockpile of 5x8 that I'd hate to walk away from.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
THe mesh is not good edgy work, the paper type holds up better. You can get 3m cubitron in both types which is the way to go.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
THe mesh is not good edgy work, the paper type holds up better. You can get 3m cubitron in both types which is the way to go.
Exactly, paper seems better for edges and the mesh for flat surfaces. I do have a sampler pack of the cubitron mesh and it seems great so far.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Looking around on aliexpress, just now, I came across this.

Haudo Brushless 350W 220V/110V Multi-function Random Variable Speed

I am not sure how it compares to any of the above mentioned sanders, but I found it funny that in one of the pictures.. I see the following: Mirka Deros

NCWood sander.PNG

Is this a rebadged Mirka Deros? :p

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Maybe the same as

But you can't always tell by the case or specs. As with all Chinese OEMs, each brand specifies tolerances and parts to meet their price point. It may be the same sander parts, but the armature not balanced, or cheaper bearings, etc. Just a guess. I will try one and see how it is. Of course, no 3M to compare it to, but it had better be better than my DeWalt and more nimble than my Bosch. For the price, it may be a good tool as a cheap sander is $40 and standard around $80.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Only bummer is it will take a month or more to get it. Free shipping on Amazon, but slow boat from China. Or the first one suggested, $60 more but 2 day delivery. Note, both of these are 6 inch. The case is different from the 3M so not the same tool. Case looks closer to the Mirka.

Think I 'll hold out for the 5 inch 3M

Last edited:

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
Maybe the same as

But you can't always tell by the case or specs. As with all Chinese OEMs, each brand specifies tolerances and parts to meet their price point. It may be the same sander parts, but the armature not balanced, or cheaper bearings, etc. Just a guess. I will try one and see how it is. Of course, no 3M to compare it to, but it had better be better than my DeWalt and more nimble than my Bosch. For the price, it may be a good tool as a cheap sander is $40 and standard around $80.
It appears the sander in the post is 220v

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I am wondering, is the 3M too bulky? Wondering for my use if the smaller Festool 125 may fit my needs better. I was also thinking maybe a better "mouse" . Mine is a $12 version. Handy, but it's orbit is about 1mm.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, if a Festool, Mirka, Makita, Bosch, 3M, and even a DeWalt, you will probably be able to get a new pad five years from now. Who knows what the clones use.

My big Bosch ROS65 is a beast. 5.3 pounds. Only good for big boards on the bench. The DeWalt goes through friction rings about every 5 sheets of paper. Pats pretty quick and the biggest pain is it wobbles. Defective maybe but others have said theirs wobble.

The smaller Bosch say they are 3.5, but I think that is the entire kit. The Makita BO5030K is only 1.5 Lbs, just a little more than the DW 421. Might go to Home Despot tomorrow and give them a heft to see what is up.

But the 3M is light, less vibration and less noise. ( it is said) That is what the big bucks are for.

Mitch, you consider Bosch disposable? Skill, Porter Cable, Black and Decker, Ryobi, yea disposable. Bosch, Makita, etc should be durable tools. When you talk reliability, from the comments I see, Festool is the bottom of the heap.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Well, if a Festool, Mirka, Makita, Bosch, 3M, and even a DeWalt, you will probably be able to get a new pad five years from now. Who knows what the clones use.

My big Bosch ROS65 is a beast. 5.3 pounds. Only good for big boards on the bench. The DeWalt goes through friction rings about every 5 sheets of paper. Pats pretty quick and the biggest pain is it wobbles. Defective maybe but others have said theirs wobble.

The smaller Bosch say they are 3.5, but I think that is the entire kit. The Makita BO5030K is only 1.5 Lbs, just a little more than the DW 421. Might go to Home Despot tomorrow and give them a heft to see what is up.

But the 3M is light, less vibration and less noise. ( it is said) That is what the big bucks are for.

Mitch, you consider Bosch disposable? Skill, Porter Cable, Black and Decker, Ryobi, yea disposable. Bosch, Makita, etc should be durable tools. When you talk reliability, from the comments I see, Festool is the bottom of the heap.
I think the comment about future replacement pads is an important point. My Bosch is an ROS20VSC (best guess at remembering the model number), and it has lasted and performed well. I've replaced the pad a couple of times but it's just getting worn out. It wobbles, the dust collection box doesn't fit tightly, etc. I don't really consider it disposable, but it is at a price point that repairing it isn't really cost effective compared to replacing.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I have a $60 (?) DeWalt ROS and it needs a replacement hook/loop pad. Not sure what the OEM pad runs, or if there is a "better" option . But all I know is, I hate my DeWalt (now?), because any/all sanding discs don't stick and I can't get anything sanded

Good excuse to buy a $200+++ sander? Lol

Also, my DeWalt wobbles a lot, especially when i turn it off. Sorta, flops around..

smurg

New User
Marty
I have a $60 (?) DeWalt ROS and it needs a replacement hook/loop pad. Not sure what the OEM pad runs, or if there is a "better" option . But all I know is, I hate my DeWalt (now?), because any/all sanding discs don't stick and I can't get anything sanded

Good excuse to buy a $200+++ sander? Lol

Also, my DeWalt wobbles a lot, especially when i turn it off. Sorta, flops around..
If your hook and loop sanding discs aren't sticking, either the paper is bad or you melted the hooks on the ROS pad. If you angle your ROS and sand for more an a few minutes with the edge, that thin portion really heats up and melts the hooks.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
If your hook and loop sanding discs aren't sticking, either the paper is bad or you melted the hooks on the ROS pad. If you angle your ROS and sand for more an a few minutes with the edge, that thin portion really heats up and melts the hooks.
The papers are brand new, so you are probably right... I probably heated that pad too much. As soon as I turn on my DeWalt, the papers get flung, like it is throwing a frisbee. *Weeeeeeeeee*

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Ridgid 5" corded, and it is loud and has dust exiting all around the pad. The bag collects some, bit builds up on the backside of the sander. I can't justify the price of the 3M, not sure about the costs of the Amazon clones either.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS