New User From Charlotte

smurg

New User
Marty
For the folks that are close to Charlotte, what is your go-to hardwood dealer in the area?

The Appalachian Walnut Co in Lincolnton, NC is my go-to for rough-sawn walnut and cherry (and generally run thicker anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 lol; so you pay for 4/4 and get almost 5/4 sometimes). Don't have a good retail spot for plywood besides big box.

I've been to West Penn for anything else, but they are busy and skip plane to near exact dimensions. Unless you get there close to a re-stock, you'll be picking through a stack and jointing/planing back down even thinner. They have an extensive array of exotics.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
West Penn Hardwoods in Conover and The Woodworking Source in Mooresville are two good places; also in Charlotte there are some good reclaimed lumber sources - Cope and Stick, Reclaimed Wood Charlotte.

TomInNC

New User
Tom
West Penn Hardwoods in Conover and The Woodworking Source in Mooresville are two good places; also in Charlotte there are some good reclaimed lumber sources - Cope and Stick, Reclaimed Wood Charlotte.
Have you bought anything from the reclaimed lumber sources lately? If so, were the prices very high?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
It has been about 5 years since I bought from them but their prices were competitive when you consider the amount of time it would take you to find and source reliable used lumber.

Nicholsjr

Jordan
Senior User
I’m also a new user from Charlotte. Thanks for these recommendations. So far I have only been to Carolina Urban Lumber in Pineville. I’ll need to find some time and go check out these other sources.

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
I’ve purchased lumber and plywood from Wurth out near Charlotte Douglas airport. They used to stop retail sales at 1 pm and focus on the trades in the afternoon. I Haven’t been there in about a year though.

TomInNC

New User
Tom
I have been primarily going to BE Klutz in Concord. Good people, and they have a fantastic selection of hardwoods.

TomInNC

New User
Tom
I was going through the shop and found a dust collection bag that I used before I had a real DC. I wanted to post this for free on the For Sale forum, but it looks like I am still classified as a new user. While I "lurk" a lot on here, I am generally not logged in. Do you lose user status if you don't log in after a while?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was going through the shop and found a dust collection bag that I used before I had a real DC. I wanted to post this for free on the For Sale forum, but it looks like I am still classified as a new user. While I "lurk" a lot on here, I am generally not logged in. Do you lose user status if you don't log in after a while?
Yes, you should log in at least once a week to be sure your status is active.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I usually check the "stay logged in" as that helps when I close my browser.
In fact, when I logged out and tried to log back in, I realized that I had changed my password, NCWW had kept me logged in under the old one, even though I had changed my password.
1653569848583.png

Another little trick for those of us getting older is a password vault.
I use Lastpass (#1 Password Manager & Vault App with Single-Sign On & MFA Solutions | LastPass) you only need remember one password. (I made mine rather complicated because I keep everything in there, banking etc.) and if you use an "extension"(in Google) or an "add-on app" in other browsers you can have it auto fill your username and password...

TomInNC

New User
Tom
I usually check the "stay logged in" as that helps when I close my browser.
In fact, when I logged out and tried to log back in, I realized that I had changed my password, NCWW had kept me logged in under the old one, even though I had changed my password.
View attachment 210768

Another little trick for those of us getting older is a password vault.
I use Lastpass (#1 Password Manager & Vault App with Single-Sign On & MFA Solutions | LastPass) you only need remember one password. (I made mine rather complicated because I keep everything in there, banking etc.) and if you use an "extension"(in Google) or an "add-on app" in other browsers you can have it auto fill your username and password...
Thanks. I guess I didn't have the "stay logged in" checked before. For what it's worth, after a few posts, I was able to successfully start a thread on the For Sale forum.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS