2022 Outreach Program

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have stated that I would not participate in the Outreach program but I have been thinking about it a lot lately.

I don’t believe I would be interested in Outreach as it has been in the past. 15 minutes in a carnival atmosphere may spark interest but there is no invitation, opportunity, or possibility for more thorough instruction.

However, if there were a chance of longer training sessions, bigger projects, ongoing training in a more deeply meaningful way then I, and I believe some others, could make a commitment to be involved in a regularly scheduled long term program.

This could be done in various locations without a permanent location. It may require an additional trailer or even a box truck to hold additional tools and materials. 4-6 easily movable work benches and sets of tools for the students to use. It could start as turning only and expand over time.

If I’m in left field or too far off base let me know and I’ll look at other alternatives.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
I could offer my shop space from time to time on weekends. Our paint shop could accommodate several people but does not have AC. Does have heat for winter workshops.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, I agree that the Outreach program needs a serious revamp. We started with a 6 to 8 hour workshops with one on one instruction. That worked ok but needed next step instruction. I am back as the events director and will be striving to make a positive change

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will admit i enjoyed working with the Scouts more than the events we have been doing pre-Covid.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I just saw an outreach proposal from another site. I think it might be a good workshop or possibly a few workshops, depending on need. Where do I send it?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
What they make are turned wig stands for cancer victims. It’s a turning project. I have the specs for the stands. I think we could have some workshops to make them. We will have to ok it with someone that helps cancer victims. Do you want me to email you the specs for the stands? Do you think someone would want them? Do you have a contact at Duke, or Wake Med, or something like that? I think we should be sure of a need first.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Also, Tammy, my daughter is working on getting us a spot in Durham for The Veterans Resource Fair. She loves our Urn Project

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What they make are turned wig stands for cancer victims. It’s a turning project. I have the specs for the stands. I think we could have some workshops to make them. We will have to ok it with someone that helps cancer victims. Do you want me to email you the specs for the stands? Do you think someone would want them? Do you have a contact at Duke, or Wake Med, or something like that? I think we should be sure of a need first.
I think we should make sure there is a local need first.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
So, I'm new to the craft... just learning.

I paid $80 for an intro woodworking class at a place called "The Makers Space" in Raleigh, but there's clearly opportunity -- the classes were booked out through June, I think I got lucky because someone canceled.

I'd more than happily pay the same to one of yall (or a suitable agreement could be made involving beer/whiskey/bbq).

When new people come to the site, they're looking to be inspired, or perhaps already have been, and are looking to be supported. This seems like a prime audience for outreach -- if you can keep more people who are new and exploring in the field through their first really successful project, you'll have primed a community of woodworkers who are connected physically and electronically.

You may also get some whisky or ribs out of it :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ben,
I offer classes at my home shop in turning, traditional joinery (dovetail, mortise & tenon), sharpening, hand plane restoration and use, woodworking machinery maintenance, layout/design (on paper- not computer), bent laminations, and possibly what ever you want to learn. My classes are $90 for a 6-7 hour day usually on Saturday. I used to offer group workshops here but covid put a damper on and I actually prefer the one on one instruction now.

I also teach at the Sawtooth Arts Center in Winston-Salem but those classes are shorter and driven by small beginning turning projects.
I can do much more in depth and a wider range of teaching at home.

I also enjoy a good Scotch and have been known to smoke a Texas style brisket or Alabama pork ribs.
Hard to find real BBQ that's not drowned in vinegar around here.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS