Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
4891DCAF-CD71-4414-9233-49AC0264F39B.jpeg

6 more to go…

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yessir, the client had the wood cut and kiln dried. The sawyer contacted me about the job then they came over and talked a bit. This one has a worm trace. They will be decorative with some commemorative laser engraving.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, great job...it looks very similar to those I used during my youth!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks great Mike. Did you turn it using a pattern, or totally freehand?
Turned freehand. I found a pattern to use but couldn’t get to a printer.
So, just trying to get them all sort of similar, they won’t be exactly alike.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Turned freehand. I found a pattern to use but couldn’t get to a printer.
So, just trying to get them all sort of similar, they won’t be exactly alike.

They look incredibly consistent. Other than the one you had to turn down, can't tell the difference. Obviously, lots of patient work on the lathe.

ssmith

New User
Scott
While that's true it's not always that easy, at least for me.

I used to have a low-budget lathe. Found out the hard way that getting in too much of a hurry on some types of wood usually ends up with a trashed workpiece. Lesson learned! Aside from that, it was a lot of fun but the bearings finally went in the headstock, so the lathe went to the dump.

Nice work!

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is Ash.
It was harvested off the owners property in Danbury, NC.
Milled and kiln dried at The Tree Trunk Sawmill in Westfield, NC.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nice work. Turning duplicates is always challenging.
The only petty little down side is when you get finished with the last one, there's a part of you that's sad now that you've got the process down right.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Hauled many log truck loads of prime ash logs to the Larimer And Norton ball bat mill in Russell PA years ago. Larimer And Norton is a division of Louisville Slugger--BB blanks of ash are milled there to be further processed by Louisville Slugger. The once vast stands of Ash trees are currently being decimated by the Emerald Ash Borer which burrows under the bark and girdles the tree killing it. Just another wonderful plant species being wiped out by invasive foreign pests.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, what kind of finish will they have? Is there some sort of standard for bats like a varnish dip?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS