How to hang a chest drill?

Richo B

New User
Richo
Back in May I bought a Stanley Chest (Breast) drill and its been kicking around ever since. I'd like to hang it from a board I secured to the wall in my workshop, I even have a strong U-shaped clip to hang it from. Problem is, due to its unique shape with handles coming out two different directions and the part at the end that rests against your chest for use, its hard to hang. Does anyone have any helpful ideas for hanging this item, without unscrewing the side handle? I did a Search of past posts and there was a similar one started by me in 2016 regarding hanging a brace. One of the users at the time used shaker posts. At the time @Hmerkle suggested I check with @MarkE for how he hung his braces. Any ideas for this query?

Breast Drill_Stanley_5.22.21_01.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
They make long hanging hooks for bicycles and odd size tools. I would look at some of those. Or you could make a rack out of plywood similar to the glue clamp hanging racks.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I keep my breast drill in a drawer, so not much help on hanging it.

The actual breast plate should rotate if you loosen the screw holding it in place. All of the breast drill I have seen had the plate oriented side to side, in line with the handles.
Your drill looks like a North Bros. design with the breast plate screw at the top center of the plate.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
How about hanging it vertically? You could makes a custom cradle for the breast plate that extends from the wall far enough for the gear to clear. If the breast plate rotates as Mark suggests, it would be even easier.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
I have 3 hanging on my peg board. Added a hook to the chuck and then on a large p.b. hook with handle on the side away from the wall. Also do the same with smaller egg beater types.

Richo B

New User
Richo
They make long hanging hooks for bicycles and odd size tools. I would look at some of those. Or you could make a rack out of plywood similar to the glue clamp hanging racks.
Your idea of making something similar to the glue clamp racks sounds good. It got me thinking based on the glue rack I made years ago. It could work using the custom cradle that @cobraguy suggests.

Richo B

New User
Richo

I keep my breast drill in a drawer, so not much help on hanging it.

The actual breast plate should rotate if you loosen the screw holding it in place. All of the breast drill I have seen had the plate oriented side to side, in line with the handles.
Your drill looks like a North Bros. design with the breast plate screw at the top center of the plate.
Solved! After reading all the responses I went down and looked at the drill again before responding again. I don't know why I keep calling it a Stanley. It is a North Brothers. Same with the Yankee Handyman I have. I loosed the top screw and was amazed to discover that there are two holes which can be used for one pin to fit in determining the direction of the chest plate. I moved the plate to line up with the handles just as you said. The way it was before was the way I found it when I bought it and just assumed that was the only option. This solves the problem and I can use the original U-shaped hanger I had which is similar to the ones that @Mike Davis suggested.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS