Joining Phenolic??

BobYon

New User
Bob
Fortunately I scored some phenolic a couple months ago for the router table I'm building. I'm finally getting to the point of building the fence and adding tracks to the top. Having never worked with phenolic before I had no idea how hard this stuff is. I love it! however, getting a screw in it is next to impossible even though I have pre-drilled larger holes than I normally would.

I'm considering using CA glue to secure the t tracks in the dadoes I've cut in the top. Would that be sufficient? Or am I going to need to use a tap and die set? I have never used a tap set before but I am thinking that may be what is required if I need to use any sort of mechanical fastener.

Would CA glue be the best for bonding aluminum tracks to the phenolic, or would epoxy be better. If CA glue, my guess is the thin stuff would be best.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to attach things to the phenolic are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I know nothing about bonding to phenolic and next to nothing about tapping holes (ok, I’ve done it and been successful on occasion when I’ve needed it). But just happened to whatch a video from Adam Savage on the subject last week. Kind of a Tapping 101. Covered a lot of nuances I hadn’t considered as well as the usual how to stuff.

BobYon

New User
Bob
I know nothing about bonding to phenolic and next to nothing about tapping holes (ok, I’ve done it and been successful on occasion when I’ve needed it). But just happened to whatch a video from Adam Savage on the subject last week. Kind of a Tapping 101. Covered a lot of nuances I hadn’t considered as well as the usual how to stuff.
Great video. Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@BobYon this is a good video too:
And in it Mr. Pete references other videos on tapping he has put out in past years.

With reference to plastics, especially Thermoset plastics like Phenolic, they "act" like soft steel so milling (cutting and drilling), tapping and other operations we can take lessons from how machinists approach metal.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS