Titebond(ed)

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I learned this trick back about 10 years at a scroll saw show. I have never had a clogged bottle since except when my ADD brain forgets to put the bottles back where they belong.

This discussion gave me a lot of good ideas to try. Since I needed a glue bottle rack anyway, I’m trying Scott’s inverted storage idea first.
081F27EE-8A70-4AA5-BAE4-CED543E1A5F0.jpeg

Storing upside down should make sure that I close after each usage.

BTW, the empty bottle on the right is quite old and the sleeve does slide much more easily than on current caps.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
TBT I have experienced what happens when one fails to properly close a glue bottle before inverting.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
TBT I have experienced what happens when one fails to properly close a glue bottle before inverting.
I’m mulling over adding a drip tray. Maybe a disposable aluminum tray from Dollar Tree or something like that.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Mustard bottles for Team Yellow, Ketchup bottles for Team Red.

Lines have been drawn in the sawdust ... let the battle begin! :)

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I agree with Red - in fact intentionally squeeze a little extra glue onto the spout. It seals the tip well. Next time around, just pop it off and good to go.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
My Glubots now live in the trash can. My problem with them is the glue dries in the riser below the spout, and it's very hard to clean. I'm heading for a mustard bottle.

Pop
Glad I’m not the only one who hates those things. The ones I use are just like the ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles but they are clear with the red cap on top.

Attachments

• 437D06D3-4064-4720-8D19-3495B3178294.png
    437D06D3-4064-4720-8D19-3495B3178294.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 66

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I just use needlenose pliers to pop open the top when it gets stuck. I put the jaws on either side of the cap under the flange and gently pry it up. It's easy. A 9/16ths open-ended wrench works too, but the pliers are more readily at hand for me.

Sometimes I have to use a pick hook to pull dried up glue out of the tip. No biggie.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Storing the glue bottles inverted turned out to be a lousy idea. The Tite-Bond cap closure is glue tight but not absolutely air tight. After sitting for a while (weeks) the glue hardens in the nozzle.

So, now I (sometimes) rinse the nozzle and store the bottles upright. Then, the empty nozzle works fine the next time even after extended storage.
6766CBD9-0047-4C7B-B59E-08DBA7EFC375.jpeg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
A Bit tangy but does work, I love using the mustard bottles, cause the color is easy to see.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
He meant one of these.
However I like the idea of a glue spreading robot!

Richo B

New User
Richo
I save the caps, and when I'm finished with a gluing session, I take the current cap off and replace it with the clean old cap. I keep the used caps in a small jar with some water and a dash of vinegar.
This is actually a good idea. I've tried the Glu-Bot route but found that if I wasn't gluing on a regular basis it would have its own problems, like not being able to dispense because some of the glue dried or settled inside. When you only assemble once or twice a year the Glu-bot may not work and pliers to the end of the Titebond tip remains the way to go. I saw a guy who built a bottle cap-style opener to the side of his workbench specifically for opening the tip of the Titebond bottle. See @woodzenworkshop on Instagram if interested. Post is from November 1 of this year.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Glad I’m not the only one who hates those things. The ones I use are just like the ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles but they are clear with the red cap on top.
I'm glad to see its not just me having problems with Glu-Bots.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS