Double Refined MDF Source

RouterGuy

New User
Donnovan
I'm in the Apex/Cary area and looking for somewhere that sells double refined mdf, preferably 1/4 or 1/2. I've called / visited these places and they don't carry the product. I'd be willing to drive 30-40min if needed.

Klingspor
WoodCraft
Wurth Wood Group (carries 3/4 when in stock)
BMC
Capitol City Lumber

Thanks.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Is this like Valchromat?

Interlam in Mt. Airy has various sizes/thicknesses of it.

1630509600109.png

But that's not 30-40 minutes.

RouterGuy

New User
Donnovan
I called Horizon Forest Products and they have better grade mdf than the standard home improvement stores. I'll try to swing by there this week and get some. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Double refined mdf is a better grade mdf than the home improvement stores. That's really the only name I've seen referenced when looking for better quality. At this HFP store, it's called MDF Trupan Plus. I have a cnc and want better finishes when cutting mdf.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I called Horizon Forest Products and they have better grade mdf than the standard home improvement stores. I'll try to swing by there this week and get some. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Double refined mdf is a better grade mdf than the home improvement stores. That's really the only name I've seen referenced when looking for better quality. At this HFP store, it's called MDF Trupan Plus. I have a cnc and want better finishes when cutting mdf.

I'm likely heading out to Mt. Airy in the next week or so to pick up some Valchromat. Let me know if you want to try some.

RouterGuy

New User
Donnovan
I'm likely heading out to Mt. Airy in the next week or so to pick up some Valchromat. Let me know if you want to try some.
Thanks for the offer! What are you planning to use that for? A table top maybe? I'd interested to hear how easy it is to work with.

RouterGuy

New User
Donnovan
So I looked up what type of MDF Home Depot carries and theirs also states that its "Trupan". I talked to a guy at Horizon Forest products and he said that theirs is better than HD so I'm still planning to give it a try.

Here are some other names of the higher quality MDFs if anyone has come across these locally here in NC.

Super Refined ( Double Refined ) MDF:
Plum Creek
Glacier Green
Ranger board

Bming1

New User
Brandon
That bench looks incredible!! I’m inspired to build one now, and love the idea of using Valchromat. I originally learned about it from the Get Hands Dirty YouTube channel, and wish it was more widely available here. I live in Durham, and without a truck, getting some will prove difficult. Are you aware of any other places that sell it? I didn’t find anything in my searches.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
That bench looks incredible!! I’m inspired to build one now, and love the idea of using Valchromat. I originally learned about it from the Get Hands Dirty YouTube channel, and wish it was more widely available here. I live in Durham, and without a truck, getting some will prove difficult. Are you aware of any other places that sell it? I didn’t find anything in my searches.

I'm going to try to get some from Interlam in Mt. Airy. Their web site is super clunky and a pain the butt to navigate. It's probably better to call them: (336) 786-6254.

391 Hickory Street
Mount Airy, NC 27030

I'm planning on going out there and my van can handle 4x8 sheet goods. I might be able to pick up some for you depending on when you order. I'm planning on going up there after the 26th.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I was asked to give a follow-up report on my Valchromat purchase in case others might be interested, so here goes.

I picked up several sheets last week, one 30mm, three 19mm, one 12mm, and one 8mm. I also picked up two 25mm sheets for Brandon.

interlam is getting out of the Valchromat business in favor of a similar product called Forescolor, and simply selling off what's left of their inventory. When it's gone it's gone. Call them before you order to see what they have. The thickness was more important to me than the color so I ended up with one green sheet of 12mm instead of light brown.

It was a little bit of an ordeal because the wheels turn slowly there, but be persistent. Apparently the Valchromat is just stuffed into an out of the way corner of their warehouse and is hard to get to. It took three days from when I ordered to when I was able to pick it up. Their number is 336-786-6254: ask for Kevin.

The place does more than sell sheet goods. They do custom CNC on immense machines to carve shapes and patterns into the Forescolor. They can laminate two sheets together so as the CNC carves the shapes through the first sheet, the second color is revealed.

1634225035759.png

There is really no limit to what kind of shapes they can produce.

1634225129496.png

1634225226849.png

It was a pretty cool operation to see. There were 4-5 machines busily routing away in a room the size of a couple basketball courts with just one guy in there fiddling away on his phone to monitor the whole thing.

Dbush714

DB
User
Martin,
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences at Interlam and passing along this information - quite useful and interesting!

I had seen postings about Valchromat before and was never able to find a source, though admittedly not real diligently.

Thanks again for sharing.

David

Bming1

New User
Brandon
These are cool, Martin. Thank you again for picking up the Valchromat sheets and delivering them!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Martin, Thanks for sharing the Hooked on Wood channel! Would you mind sharing pricing on those sheets of Valchromat, please? It sure looks like nice workshop material in the videos. Thanks!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Martin, Thanks for sharing the Hooked on Wood channel! Would you mind sharing pricing on those sheets of Valchromat, please? It sure looks like nice workshop material in the videos. Thanks!
Interlam's pricing is here. Be aware they are getting out of the Valchromat line in favor of a competing product. When their inventory is gone it's gone. They do carry Forescolor, but it's about $150 a sheet.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS