New Member in Durham

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Hello All -
I am a retired, "well seasoned" woodworker of about 30 years and happy to be a new member of this knowledgeable and friendly group!
In addition to furniture, a few years back, I began focusing a lot of attention on wooden gear, open face (sometimes called "skeleton") clocks.
The fun aspect of most of the clocks is the hands run backwards even though they are numbered forward.
Here are a few pictures.
I look forward to learning from and sharing with everyone. And yes... I'll buy a few raffle tickets :)
Joe
SG on stand Web.jpgRHIT Clock web.jpgRevisn Clock Web.jpg

Last edited:

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Thanks for the welcome, guys.
To Mikeh74 - yes I now use a CNC. Cutting gears on the bandsaw is doable, but tedious!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Great looking work Joe! Thanks for sharing. BTW, welcome to the NCWW family! What CNC do you use? I recently acquired a lightly used ShopBot and I'm still learning how to use the software and it! I'm very interested in dabbling in gears and something similar to what you've done. Oh, I'm not far from you...I'm in Chapel Hill near exit 266 of 40.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I use an Axiom AR6 Pro (24" x 36"). For software, 3D Studio for design and visualization and VCarve Pro v.10 for job setup and direct misc. texturing, fluting, mortise cutting, etc.
For gear design, there are a number of programs on the web. I use a very handy and inexpensive program written by Matthias Wandel of www.woodgears.ca.
I'm sure there are more capable CNC experts than I in the forum, but am happy to help if you have questions.
We used to live just off of exit 266 in the Stoneridge subdivision until about 5 years ago.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I use an Axiom AR6 Pro (24" x 36"). For software, 3D Studio for design and visualization and VCarve Pro v.10 for job setup and direct misc. texturing, fluting, mortise cutting, etc.
For gear design, there are a number of programs on the web. I use a very handy and inexpensive program written by Matthias Wandel of www.woodgears.ca.
I'm sure there are more capable CNC experts than I in the forum, but am happy to help if you have questions.
We used to live just off of exit 266 in the Stoneridge subdivision until about 5 years ago.
Joe, Thanks for the tip on the program by Matthias! I'll check that out. We'll have to compare notes some time. I also use VCarve Pro v10 for setup and tool paths.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Joe! Glad to have you and we look forward to seeing your work. We love pictures.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome. You'll have a chance to meet a bunch of the members if you attend our annual picnic Sept 18.
Reminder: The Picnic is Coming!! It's at Jordan Lake.

You might also want to invest in some of our raffle tickets.
Raffle basics for new members

I'm in Pittsboro, not that far from Michael, and new to CNC. I'd be interested in talking with you about your experience with gears also.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Hi Rich -
Happy to share my experience to help you "gear up". I cant figure out how to PM - can you let me know how?
Yes - the picnic is on my radar and I've already bought a raffle few tickets.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS