Oil or wax? To prevent tools from rusting...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Be sure the paste wax you buy does NOT have silicone.
It really does a number on most finishes, nearly impossible to remove.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ll admit to not reading the fine woodworking article—but my experience of Johnson’s paste wax has been quite good.

I have a two car garage that is shared with cars without hvac. My hand tools that are often not used did flash rust while my saws, drill press Colin and planers that are waxed have not rusted. The hand tools are stored above my table saw that did not rust.

I also use the paste wax on my cabinet saw trunions and other unfinished metal surfaces around my shop (and now on the hand tools).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
When my daughter went to Japan that's the one thing I asked her to bring back. She had to go to a swordsmith who questioned her need then happily sold her a small bottle when she explained it was for her woodworking father.
I use Camelia Oil in my unheated / un air-conditioned garage... I bought mine at Woodcraft, I think it is better than paste wax and other products. I tired a different product (maybe Boeshield or a CRC product, not sure???) and it bubbled the paint on something it dripped on!?

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I have every product mentioned in this thread so far, and none of it worked for me. Maybe the products are not the problem. :)

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have every product mentioned in this thread so far, and none of it worked for me. Maybe the products are not the problem. :)
As Matt mentioned, this has to be a habit - when I use a plane, I break it down, blow it off and spray it with the Camelia Oil before putting it back in the plane rack. Many of my other hand tools live in a tool box or hang on the wall and I will spray them periodically, but not as "religiously" as my planes. When I see rust (the brown haze start, I will take a scotch brite pad and spray a little oil on it and rub the rust away, wipe it with a microfiber towel and spray it again before putting it away...

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Camellia oil and a gun safe heater in your tool chest. For a long list of reasons I haven’t done much woodworking in years. I have plenty of nice hand tools stored in my wooden tool chest in my nonclimate controlled garage. There is a golden rod installed in that chest and I ALWAYS wipe down my tools with camellia oil after use. There are some tools in there that haven’t been touched in 3+ years and they still look brand new, no rust.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I don't get in a twist about rust on my planes. Since I moved into the new shop it's less of an issue but it still pops up. It'll get knocked off eventually...

As Matt mentioned, this has to be a habit - when I use a plane, I break it down, blow it off and spray it with the Camelia Oil before putting it back in the plane rack. Many of my other hand tools live in a tool box or hang on the wall and I will spray them periodically, but not as "religiously" as my planes. When I see rust (the brown haze start, I will take a scotch brite pad and spray a little oil on it and rub the rust away, wipe it with a microfiber towel and spray it again before putting it away...

Trey1984

Trey
User
I’ll admit to not reading the fine woodworking article—but my experience of Johnson’s paste wax has been quite good.

I have a two car garage that is shared with cars without hvac. My hand tools that are often not used did flash rust while my saws, drill press Colin and planers that are waxed have not rusted. The hand tools are stored above my table saw that did not rust.

I also use the paste wax on my cabinet saw trunions and other unfinished metal surfaces around my shop (and now on the hand tools).
Since using the wax you haven't had Abby problems? If not how often do you wax? Just curious. Thanks

Trey1984

Trey
User
Camellia oil and a gun safe heater in your tool chest. For a long list of reasons I haven’t done much woodworking in years. I have plenty of nice hand tools stored in my wooden tool chest in my nonclimate controlled garage. There is a golden rod installed in that chest and I ALWAYS wipe down my tools with camellia oil after use. There are some tools in there that haven’t been touched in 3+ years and they still look brand new, no rust.
Haven't got to building tool chest but it is on my list

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Lowes sells vapor emitting drawer liner for tool boxes. For stationary tools, I use a spray of parafffin and deoderized mineral spirits. Grate the paraffin into MS, let it desolve and put into a spray bottle. Spray surface, let it dry, then wipe off excess.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Build yourself an air conditioned bench room. Solved my problem......
1631733079077.png
1631733087210.png
1631733089137.png
1631733090423.png

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Since using the wax you haven't had Abby problems? If not how often do you wax? Just curious. Thanks
Nope haven’t had problems. I tend to wax when I use the tools and if things require more effort to move (hand plane not loving as smoothly or wood not feeding as well with planer). I’m not religious about waxing when I don’t use and if there is any rust, I’ll clean it off and wax again.

I hadn’t used my table saw for 3 weeks or so and used it this past Sunday. There wasn’t rust on the top. And I can’t tell you the last time I waxed it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS