Thinner bench grinder wheels?

Scott H

Scott
User
I'm looking for some help on locating thin grinding wheels (probably 1/8 or 1/4") that can fit on a Rikon 80-805 bench grinder. They don't have to be 8" radius but they would ideally have to be a little shapeable with a dressing wheel so I can put a radius on them. Tools for Working Wood has some that are basically what I want (link here) but they are for 1/2" arbors. My grinder has a 5/8" arbor.

Sorry if any of the following is nonsense or a bad idea, but I am wondering if you could put an angle grinder cut-off wheel on there or something like one of the thin pink Oregon chainsaw sharpener wheels. Most of those have a 7/8 ID so I am not sure how to mount on 5/8", or if it is even safe to consider. I am guessing I would basically need a bushing to adapt from 5/8" to 7/8" that is roughly as wide as the wheel (maybe a bit wider to extend into the flanges), and maybe 5/8" ID spacer bushing(s) to pad the shoulder on the arbor so the wheel is decently centered in the guard and I don't run out of threads tightening the nut?

This is all for shaping concave parts of blades like molding planes.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use a Fordam handheld dremal and that works for me. But, if you want contured discs on a grinder, you should just use one you can sculpt to the shape . Sculpt with a diamond grinder dresser and a spinning star one

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
This is often done on a Makita wet wheel. I have used the small diamond needle files.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can try Mcmaster-carr they have a variety of wheel sizes for bench grinders.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Any millwork company that uses a profile grinder for the molding operation could point you in the right direction to buy thin grinding wheels.

Scott H

Scott
User
Thanks everyone. I was on McMaster-Carr last night but I think I had filtered too narrow too early, they have more than I initially thought.

So far this seems like the closest to what TFWW offers in 8 x 1/8 x 5/8:

It seems like it is very similar to the TFWW one and is labeled as a toolroom grinding wheel which seems the preferred option for fixed machine / unclamped workpiece.

Still looking for options in the 1/4 thickness range but this is a start.

Scott H

Scott
User
I should probably also have mentioned in the original post I am looking at making molding plane irons from flat stock, not just touch up sharpening.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I should probably also have mentioned in the original post I am looking at making molding plane irons from flat stock, not just touch up sharpening.

Tool steel as shipped is annealed and cuts nicely with a metal-cutting blade in a reciprocating saw. I’m assuming that you are wanting to rough cut the tangs, etc.

Scott H

Scott
User
Tool steel as shipped is annealed and cuts nicely with a metal-cutting blade in a reciprocating saw. I’m assuming that you are wanting to rough cut the tangs, etc.

For the tang shape I was planning on using an angle grinder or hacksaw, then a 1x30 belt sander to sneak up on layout lines. I got a recip saw but ended up giving it to a friend as I hadn't ended up using it. If it's faster than a hacksaw but you can be decently precise and it doesn't throw sparks that could be very interesting though. I have looked at bandsaws or portabands but I don't feel like I have the space or funds at the moment.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Norton A60 OBNA2
Google it.
Been using them for decades for all kinds of grinder detailing. The thicker ones are good for sharpening. The thin ones make your bench grinder into a precision steel cutting saw.
I learned about them in 1977 and they were an old standard then.
No other brand/model works as well.

1   A60 OBNA2 - 1.jpg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm looking for some help on locating thin grinding wheels (probably 1/8 or 1/4") that can fit on a Rikon 80-805 bench grinder. They don't have to be 8" radius but they would ideally have to be a little shapeable with a dressing wheel so I can put a radius on them. Tools for Working Wood has some that are basically what I want (link here) but they are for 1/2" arbors. My grinder has a 5/8" arbor.

Sorry if any of the following is nonsense or a bad idea, but I am wondering if you could put an angle grinder cut-off wheel on there or something like one of the thin pink Oregon chainsaw sharpener wheels. Most of those have a 7/8 ID so I am not sure how to mount on 5/8", or if it is even safe to consider. I am guessing I would basically need a bushing to adapt from 5/8" to 7/8" that is roughly as wide as the wheel (maybe a bit wider to extend into the flanges), and maybe 5/8" ID spacer bushing(s) to pad the shoulder on the arbor so the wheel is decently centered in the guard and I don't run out of threads tightening the nut?

This is all for sharpening concave parts of blades like molding planes.
Since this is sharpening only, and not shaping, why not use some 1/4" MDF? Bore center, and cut out wheel on band saw. Mount on grinder, and shape wheel to needed shapes. Be sure wheels turn AWAY from you. This means you will need to remove guards. Coat wheels with PVA glue and then 220 grit silicon carbide (available on Ebay.) You could do a second wheel (same profile) with either white or green buffing compound. This how I made my fiber wheels for sharpening knives

Scott H

Scott
User
Since this is sharpening only, and not shaping, why not use some 1/4" MDF? Bore center, and cut out wheel on band saw. Mount on grinder, and shape wheel to needed shapes. Be sure wheels turn AWAY from you. This means you will need to remove guards. Coat wheels with PVA glue and then 220 grit silicon carbide (available on Ebay.) You could do a second wheel (same profile) with either white or green buffing compound. This how I made my fiber wheels for sharpening knives

@junquecol Thank you, I should have edited my post to be specific about what I need to do, I am more interested in shaping and rough grinding than sharpening but I appreciate the detail here and I will definitely file it away. Can you just get loose 220 grit silicon carbide as just grains? Is that what you are referring to?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Scott H I have some wheels with 1 inch ID'd and knew they used to make bushings for grinding wheels...
I used to buy them at Sears, ACE Hardware etc. but nobody is stocking all the little "bits and bobs" that used to be available...

So there is always That on-line store:

I bought these and am not really happy with them and plan to order this one next:

That is if I don't choose to simply turn them on the lathe... I was just being lazy and wanted to get my wheels on the grinder...

Scott H

Scott
User
That is always what I wonder about with these bushings, whether they are close enough tolerance to do the job adequately or not. Thank you for the feedback on that one set, helps narrow things down!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is always what I wonder about with these bushings, whether they are close enough tolerance to do the job adequately or not. Thank you for the feedback on that one set, helps narrow things down!
Well, I was bing cheap and didn't want to spend the $18.99, but now when I reorder - I will have spent.... $26!
Don't be Hank - (being a cheap A$$ costs more money!) LOL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS