Shopsmith for sale

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I have a Shopsmith machine with a trunk full of accessaries that is very lightly used that was purchased new in 1978 (not by me)...also have a Shopsmith bandsaw mounted on a seperate stand with it's own motor (does not have to be attached to the main machine).
I have no idea what they are worth, and I would entertain almost any offer for both.
If you or anyone you know is interested, please let me know.
This could be useful for someone with limited workshop space.

Attachments

• 94920713-F1D9-47FA-B8CE-CA88E46AFBA1.jpeg
    94920713-F1D9-47FA-B8CE-CA88E46AFBA1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 240
  • E26DAC30-5635-49E1-B8F1-85C4AD733626.jpeg
    E26DAC30-5635-49E1-B8F1-85C4AD733626.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 222
  • 5482B4F6-0028-4AD8-8508-C04192507971.jpeg
    5482B4F6-0028-4AD8-8508-C04192507971.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 215

Mark Bush

New User
Mark
I'm interested, I'm also new to the forum and uncertain of the process. I'm in Catawba. Please let me know how, what, when, where.

bainin

New User
bainin
Be sure to read the 400+ rebuttal responses below the video as well. You know, people who actually put their hands on the tool, rather than just clip pictures together in a youtube video.

Go over to the shopsmith forums and read about the good and the bad from people who own one. Lots of really great people over there with deep knowledge.

Full disclosure, I own a shopsmith tool, I love what it does in the small space I have, for my level of expertise (which is not that high) .

The whole idea of min/maxing everything in this world fails to acknowledge that the actual limiting factor is probably you, not the tool. This is hubris.

I could spend $100K on the best equipment around, but not do any better than I am currently doing because the limit is me, not the tool.

Do your research, be honest with yourself, and choose tools that work well for you and give you enough headroom to improve your skill set. At the end of the day, enjoy the adventure.

b

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I was introduced to Shopsmith by my 7th grade shop teacher. Bought a used 500 in the 60s. I loved it, but it was wearing out. So big mistake I sold it and replaced it with a TotalShop. I repaired my Shopsmith when needed. I found out quickly that the TotalShop is a piece of poorly made junk. I now have a SS 520. I have sold most of my attachments and kept the strip sander, bandsaw & 6 X 48 belt sander. All these machines are on their own stands with their own motors. At this point my SS is my back-up tool if one of my stand alone machines bite the dust. Meanwhile it services as my drill press, and a very good one. The going price for a used SS is around $500.

Pop

Mark Bush

New User
Mark
Well, I'm kinda conflicted here. First time out, don't want to stir the pot. But did I just get the smack down over expressing interest in a Shopsmith? I'm truly not a master woodworker by any standards. I can hold my own with machines on most levels. From hammer & chisel to multi-spindle, rough end, dry end, machine room, machine shop, fab shop, roadway shop, machinist, welder... Been and done. I also own a Shopsmith already and know and understand its virtues and limits. I have more than a few other machines to boot. So how should I take the video? As advice or intrusion?

Last edited by a moderator:

iclark

Ivan
User
Well, I'm kinda conflicted here. First time out, don't want to stir the pot. But did I just get the smack down over expressing interest in a Shopsmith? I'm truly not a master woodworker by any standards. I can hold my own with machines on most levels. From hammer & chisel to multi-spindle, rough end, dry end, machine room, machine shop, fab shop, roadway shop, machinist, welder... Been and done. I also own a Shopsmith already and know and understand its virtues and limits. I have more than a few other machines to boot. So how should I take the video? As advice or intrusion?
The Shopsmiths are good tools as long as you take the time to do the setup and the maintenance. I have several. I am sure that you already know that the one serious no-no is to crank the speed dial for the Reeve's drive when the spindle is not turning. The 11" bandsaw is excellent for its size and having it on a powerstation is a great option. I use my powerstation for one of the SS 6" belt sanders. It is one of the most-used tools in my shop.

I am a mod on a different woodworking forum. If someone posted what PeteM posted in a for sale thread over there, I would have no choice but them give them a timeout on their first offense. I am surprised and disappointed that it is allowed here.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
OK guys - I apologize for posting the video.
(even though IMO it gives a fair appraisal of the machines good and bad points)
(and yes I did own one)
I'll give myself a time out and go sit in the corner.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I am surprised and disappointed that it is allowed here.

It is not allowed. Mods might not have seen/noticed or been alerted to it.

Per the rules for the For Sale/Wanted Section:
Do not posts comments disparaging the listings here or quibbling on the price. Genuine questions or additional information on the item is permitted.

I think the video would be appropriate on a thread asking for advice or information when looking or buying a ShopSmith, but not on a thread of someone selling. Thanks Pete for apologizing & removing it. I feel that the apology should be accepted.

iclark

Ivan
User
I think the video would be appropriate on a thread asking for advice or information when looking or buying a ShopSmith, but not on a thread of someone selling. Thanks Pete for apologizing & removing it. I feel that the apology should be accepted.
I fully agree with these sentiments. I second the thanks to Pete for stepping up and owning it.

I hope that the OP finds a good new home for these tools. I do not have room for another one (please, no one tell my wife about the 5th one) and it has been too long since I bought my most recent one for me to comment on fair pricing in the OP's neighborhood. I do know that, if I were local, I would not be able to resist dickering for the powerstation and one of the SPT's.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS