Further progress on Adirondack Guideboat

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well here's an up to date summary of life in the shop. Finishing the decks on each end has been a challenge. As you can see I chose to cut some curly maple veneer for the covers and split the piece with a strip of walnut
26 July 2021 001.JPG

26 July 2021 002.JPG
26 July 2021 003.JPG

Here is the tool that Phil Soper loaned to me and my wife bought me one when she heard that I needed to do more sanding. Folks theres no part of woodworking I like less than sanding. Nuf said. Yes the small Festool sander is above the others and it is the right size to sand between the ribs
This is the step where you make a nice Carlin cover. In this case it is white oak
26 July 2021 004.JPG

I read about someone else having trouble with poly urethane finish results- too many bubbles. I used a thick boat paint that is known for bubbles in the surface. How to work around it ? Roll a thin coat and then "tip it" with a china bristle brush. NO bubbles to be found and a nice even thickness coat.
26 July 2021 010.JPG

Well maybe you spray gun guys can do better but remember the paint is very thick and it will run down the side if its too thin. Back to my days of rolling and tipping.
26 July 2021 009.JPG

Still haven't decided on the gunnales yet. TBD. Today's effort: finishing up on the oars for this boat.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Awesome ! you could spray it after it is completely cured then, spray a few coats to smooth the top of the finish........ or not, just depends on how OCD you are.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dan, great looking boat...you'll soon be ready for sea trials! I understand your aversion to sanding; that said, having the right tool goes a long way in making an unpleasant task a little less unpleasant. Thank you for posting.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have fly rod will travel, are we there yet. It’s looking good Dan.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
++Rolling and Tipping

Total Boat has a good tutorial video for anyone unfamiliar with the technique.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Awesome ! you could spray it after it is completely cured then, spray a few coats to smooth the top of the finish........ or not, just depends on how OCD you are.
I have nothing against spray work but it is too messy for me. I learned to roll and tip years ago and this method allows one to apply a thick coat and a very uniform thickness after tipping it out. If you could see the finish up close I doubt you would push you luck with a spray gun.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS