Woodmaster 718 Planer/Molder Combo

Dbush714

DB
User
Hello. I came across an older (1996) one of these for sale that seems to be in good condition and comes with gang saw blades, multiple molding knives (not the drum sander attachment but can be so equipped). 18” wide, 6” height, 5hp, 30 amp, 220v motor and variable speed input control.
Does anybody have one of these or maybe is otherwise familiar with it? What would be a reasonable price given the age and accessories?
My interest is the ability to upgrade from my DeWalt “lunch pail” planer and consolidate/unload recent Jet drum sander purchase to reduce shop footprint space requirement while taking advantage of the other flexibility/options this machine seems to offer. (I have access to rough sawn lumber from my property.)
Thanks for anyone who has some insights to offer!

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
1996 is about the vintage of my 718. I have owned mine since about 1998, still using it. It has been a great machine. I have used it for planing, moulding, and drum sanding. It is good at all 3, but I rarely use the drum sander. Just usually too lazy to set up the drum sander for just a couple of boards. I have done quite a bit of moulding for a local college and my own house. It doesn't set any speed records but it can run the profiles with little to no sanding needed. I've never even taken the gang rip saws out of their package since 1998. Never came across the need to use them. It is odd that the one you found for sale doesn't come with the drum sander. The drum sander is part of the "Pro-Pack". The 718 with Pro-Pack goes for $3850. If it is in good condition with a decent amount of moulding knives 1/2 price of new might be a place to start. Used power tool prices are running pretty high right now though.

Dbush714

DB
User
1996 is about the vintage of my 718. I have owned mine since about 1998, still using it. It has been a great machine. I have used it for planing, moulding, and drum sanding. It is good at all 3, but I rarely use the drum sander. Just usually too lazy to set up the drum sander for just a couple of boards. I have done quite a bit of moulding for a local college and my own house. It doesn't set any speed records but it can run the profiles with little to no sanding needed. I've never even taken the gang rip saws out of their package since 1998. Never came across the need to use them. It is odd that the one you found for sale doesn't come with the drum sander. The drum sander is part of the "Pro-Pack". The 718 with Pro-Pack goes for $3850. If it is in good condition with a decent amount of moulding knives 1/2 price of new might be a place to start. Used power tool prices are running pretty high right now though.
Brad,
Thanks so much for the information. Unfortunately, it sold before I could get to it (was about 6 hrs away and logistics this weekend were bad).
This has at least provided the exposure to a machine that I wasn’t previously familiar with so I’ll be on the lookout for another.
Thanks again for taking the t8me to provide your experience and perspective.
Cheers!

PS - in case you’re interested, he asked and got $1,750 for it.

Hunt3r

New User
Preacher
Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I have the same machine with a spiral planer head. Absolutely love it. The price was great too depending on conditio.

Dbush714

DB
User
Thanks for that feedback. I will definitely be on the lookout for others that might become available and hopefully be able to move more quickly next time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS