DeWalt 788 maintenance

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Someone posted a link to the Gwinnett Woodworkers YT video
where Bob Brokow goes through the saw and shows how to maintain it or repair one.
What I didn't see was a link to his list of replacement parts. (Especially ones you want to keep on-hand)

TIA
Hank

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I found (at least part of) my answer...
In another video posted by Gwinnett Woodworkers of Bob Brokaw in another video:
In the show notes there is a link to this list: https://www.gwinnettwoodworkers.com/images/gwa/handout/Dewalt_788_Bearing_analysis.pdf

Unfortunately, when I go to the Dewalt parts site, none of the parts came up in my search!
So it seems best to use the part numbers on the list and use a Google search... Oh, and listen to Bob's video as he has LOTS of good tips and suggestions on sources and how and what to fix and look for!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Scott - I tried to look up the bearings, but it looks like you have to buy the entire assembly (Rocker Arm or Connecting rod) to get them from E-Replacement Parts...
And they were Stupid expensive from Bob's Source! (~$9.99 X 12 in one case...)

I think one lesson here is to do PM on your saw, pull it apart and grease the bearings for longevity so they don't need to be replaced!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Scott - I tried to look up the bearings, but it looks like you have to buy the entire assembly (Rocker Arm or Connecting rod) to get them from E-Replacement Parts...
And they were Stupid expensive from Bob's Source! (~$9.99 X 12 in one case...)

I think one lesson here is to do PM on your saw, pull it apart and grease the bearings for longevity so they don't need to be replaced!
Do you do PM on a car, truck, tractor, mower,......? Here is where the problem falls.
1. Are you skilled enough to do the work? While you do not need to be certified you need some basic skills and tools.
2. Are you confident in your skills? More than half the job is knowing that you can.
3. Are you patient enough? This is not a 10 minute job. It will take as long as it takes.
4. Are you knowledgeable enough to recognize a good part from a bad or worn part?
5. Finally is the warrantee over. It is never recommended you tackle it while under warrantee because once you start the warrantee is voided.

Number 5 is the biggest unknown because if you wait the damage might be enough to require a significant rebuild. Roll the dice.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS