Drill Press Restoration

mikeh74

New User
Mike
The DP-220 is a 14" drill press. This is an 11" drill press with a 1-7/8" column. It can be restored to a very accurate and quiet drill press. Replacing the sleeve bearings is an annoyance because of one dimension being rather non-standard. Not impossible to find, just its rare enough that finding one is annoying. Delta's 11-072/11-280 will share the same head parts that might be easier to find.

Thank you! Very helpful.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Down the rabbit hole I go.

3EB83981-15EE-43BA-A8D5-D8F3458AA4B6.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would suggest NOT sandblasting the table top, but rather sanding it. or using the Klingspor sandflex blocks I think the finish will be better for a "use" surface...

mikeh74

New User
Mike
I would suggest NOT sandblasting the table top, but rather sanding it. or using the Klingspor sandflex blocks I think the finish will be better for a "use" surface...

I'm actually using a rust remover bath. The bed is in the bath now. Has done great on the rest of the parts.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm actually using a rust remover bath. The bed is in the bath now. Has done great on the rest of the parts.
That is good!
I thought you said you were going to blast it, which I find is good for non-working surfaces.
What are you using, Evaporust or something else?

mikeh74

New User
Mike
That is good!
I thought you said you were going to blast it, which I find is good for non-working surfaces.
What are you using, Evaporust or something else?

I was considering blasting it as I have a blast cabinet. I purchased rust rescue from Home Depot for a few small parts I didn't want to blast. I was so impressed with it I tried it on a few of the cast pieces. I have now gone back and purchased a few more gallons and should be done with rust removal tomorrow.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Now if I can just figure out this motor. Can’t seem to get the case open. I’ve watched several video on how to clean up this motor and from what I can see it looks like the short out “necklace” is missing some teeth and the spring is sitting too high.

BA866577-9A14-4528-8C0B-026112055069.jpeg

2C077C0F-EB95-48CC-8E5A-BC176DD40894.jpeg

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Finally was able to get the engine apart. Good news the short out necklace is complete. Bad news the spring is shot.

F8F47FB6-CFD7-4518-8F19-257EBD498C5D.jpeg

F500C174-02F7-4780-9DBC-8C6A644469D0.jpeg

2446527D-A0B0-45EB-902E-51E417110CB0.jpeg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A bit if a funky design I was not aware of. Seems the shorting necklace and spring are critical. Personally, I would be looking for a good used induction motor, probably 3/4 HP or so as a nice upgrade.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
A bit if a funky design I was not aware of. Seems the shorting necklace and spring are critical. Personally, I would be looking for a good used induction motor, probably 3/4 HP or so as a nice upgrade.

I'm so far into this one, I'm going to try and get it back and operational. May still upgrade later. It has been an education.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm so far into this one, I'm going to try and get it back and operational. May still upgrade later. It has been an education.
It is probably not logical but emotionally, I hope you are able to save that Delta motor!

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Awesome, that spring is a fixable problem! Here is a guide for replacing the necklace spring on a Delta RI motor. The necklace looks to be in good condition. I bet that motor will run again!

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Awesome, that spring is a fixable problem! Here is a guide for replacing the necklace spring on a Delta RI motor. The necklace looks to be in good condition. I bet that motor will run again!

Thanks. I have viewed this thread before. However this is for a 1 HP motor and I have a 1/3 HP motor. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same spring with a smaller radius. I may just go ahead and purchase the materials they used and try it out.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Update.

Found someone who makes a shorting necklace for my motor. Ordered it and installed it along with new bearings. It runs!

Primed and painted the parts this week with automotive epoxy primer and single stage paint. Hope to start the reassembly this weekend. Still need to figure out if I need to replace the quill bearings but will probably just do it as I’m this far in.

C886988D-CA38-4698-BEFF-1DA510BE3348.jpeg

81C08849-F522-47EA-86B7-BF42C65FD551.jpeg

38B4C73C-E7D9-4DB5-B0AE-DB70A04C857B.jpeg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Nice.
Quill bearings, or the arbor bearings in the quill? Worn quill is a real bug-aboo unless it is a split head. I have been considering trying to split mine with just a hacksaw.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
Very nice! I enjoy restoring old Delta/Rockwell stuff as well. Seems like WW2 was about the cut-off point for the R-I motors. I have a 1939 6" Delta Jointer with a 1/2HP R-I motor that works just as new, I was lucky that all it needed was a new cord!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS