Lumber run #4 - Eastern Red Cedar forsale

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

We would like to try lumber run #4 Sunday (Feb 25th) in the Harbor Freight parking lot in Raleigh off capital blvd (US 1) around 11:00 AM. I Think I can get 1200BF of cedar on my trailer, since it weighs less than hardwood.

This time we would like to try an all eastern red cedar run. We have not sawed the logs yet, so we can include custom quarter inch sawing within reason (4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 12/4, long bowl blank, etc...) at no additional cost. However if you want a bunch of 2x2’s or veneer or something over 8" wide, we’ll need to talk.

The Eastern red cedar around this area should dress out from 6 ~ 8" wide. There is several thousand BF in the log yard. Lumber will be flat sawn rough cut, fresh off the log.

Eastern Red Cedar is $1.05 a BF

* Tonyps - 200BF ERC (6/4, 6~8" wide 8' long preferred) CONFIRMED
Tonyps - 100BF Black Walnut (50 BF 4/4, 50 BF 6/4, Wide as we can get them 8' long preferred) CONFIRMED

TominZebulon - 500BF ERC (5/4, 8~9' long
preferred) CONFIRMED - can't make it to the lumber run, but will pick up from the log yard next week.
* TominZebulon - 100BF BW (5/4, wide as we can get them, log length) CONFIRMED - can't make it to the lumber run, but will pick up from the log yard next week.

Marlin - 30BF ERC (4/4, wide as we can get them, 8' long preferred) CONFIRMED

Mike Davis - 50BF ERC (3/4, wide as we can get them, 8' long preferred) CONFIRMED

* Bman - 50 BF ERC (4/4, wide as we can get them, 8' long preferred) CONFIRMED
* Bman - 25 BF Soft Maple (4/4, wide as we can get them, 8' long preferred) CONFIRMED

[strike]* justicefan23- 100BF ERC (6/4, 6~8" wide 8' long preferred) cancelled[/strike]

[strike]* psufaninnc [/strike][strike]175BF ERC (50BF 12/4, 50BF 8/4 and 75BF 4/4, no longer than 8') cancelled
* psufaninnc 100BF QSWO (25BF 8/4 , 50BF 5/4, 25BF 4/4, wide as I can get and 8-9 long') cancelled[/strike]

Currently there is 145 BF available, 1055 BF sold

If you’re interested, please reply to this post. Specify quarter inch thickness and length preference.

Thanks everyone

tonyps

New User
Tony
Afternoon,

Please put me down for 200bdft of the cedar. I believe 6/4, 6-8" wide, 8' length would work out great!
Thanks again, best to all! :eusa_danc

Tony ...

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Just to make sure I know what we are talking about, is ERC the aromatic cedar? I tried to find it at the sites some people posted links to earlier and could not.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Eastern Red Cedar - Juniperus virginiana is the aromatic cedar that is used to line closets and make cedar chests. It's natural scent is a insect repellent and has been used to keep moths out of woolen goods.

Exotic Wood cedar, red aromatic

and here's what it looks like with a spit coat of shellac and several coats of gloss lacquer -

CopyofCedarbox009.jpg

Dave:)

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Naw, I ain't that good... Leigh cut DTs and I was wrong on the finish, it's Waterlox Original S&F gloss.

J

jeff...

Just to make sure I know what we are talking about, is ERC the aromatic cedar? I tried to find it at the sites some people posted links to earlier and could not.

Tom, yes it's aromatic cedar. DaveO was so kind to give us the skinny on it. The heart wood is also decay resistant so it's great for out door projects like patio furniture.

Thanks

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Naw, I ain't that good... Leigh cut DTs and I was wrong on the finish, it's Waterlox Original S&F gloss.

Beautiful work. Dovetails with a jig takes a lot of practice, too. And I do like a Waterlox finish. That's good stuff.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Jeff, please put me down for 100BF of the ERC. Like Tony, 6/4 at 8' length would be ideal. Thanks.

Michael

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Thanks Dave and Jeff. I thought it was, but just was not sure. Please put me down for 500 bf for now and I may need another 100 or so once I check with a friend of mine who also wants to line a closet.

psufaninnc

New User
winston
I am a new guy to the site. I wouldn't mind 175 BF of the cedar. I could use 50 BF 12/4, 50 8/4 and 75 4/4. I need to make a table and some benches for the deck. Also, if anyone changes a order on the 2/11 run I could use 100 BF of the oak or maple. I live in Clayton, so Cap Blvd. is a convenient place to pick things up. Thanks for offering such a service you are saving everyone money to spend on tools. Winston

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Sorry about that Jeff. I need it in 5/4 and 9' lengths if possible. I can use 8' lengths if 9' would be too cumbersome and/or odd.

psufaninnc

New User
winston
I neglected to mention dimensions 12/4 at least 4" no longer than 8'. 8/4 and 4/4 at least 4" and no longer than 8'. I am hauling in SUV that's why I have a limitation on the length. Also, if you have any room left on the 2/11 run I would take as little as 50 BF of either species you were hauling or more as your space permits. Thanks

J

jeff...

I neglected to mention dimensions 12/4 at least 4" no longer than 8'. 8/4 and 4/4 at least 4" and no longer than 8'. I am hauling in SUV that's why I have a limitation on the length. Also, if you have any room left on the 2/11 run I would take as little as 50 BF of either species you were hauling or more as your space permits. Thanks

Is that a 8' hard length? The boards may run a few inches over in length, if they do we scale them back to the nearest foot.

As for the Feb 11th run I'm waiting on a response from golfdad on 50 BF of Black Walnut. If I don't hear back from him in the next few days, I'll go ahead and add 50 BF of QSWO for you. I can appriciate the limitation, like you I have a limitation on my trailer I really don't want to carry anymore than 1000BF of hardwood. Yesterdays load (Walnut and Maple) was about as much as I want to carry, it was quite a load.

Thanks

psufaninnc

New User
winston
A little long isn't a problem- U-Haul is down the street if needed. I haven't worked with cedar in over twenty years, I look forward to working with your stock. Any idea what moisture level is ok for outdoors without looking on the internet.

J

jeff...

Winston, the lumber will be rough cut fresh off the log. Granted cedar is one of the drier woods to begin with, I would still stack and sticker it to air dry for a while to bring the MC down to the enviroment you'll be using it in. I think for outdoor usage 12% MC is pretty much the norm.

I'm building a deck around my swimming pool out of ERC, it went from the mill to sticker pile. After a few months of air drying I chopped it up for deck joists and I have not seen any problems with it so far. Here's the thread to my ball and chain project the pool deck :roll:. I go out there and [strike]beat on it[/strike] pound some nail in it when I have some spare time (rarely). I'm just about through with all the framing all the wa around the pool and will be cutting the 5/4 decking within the next few months. I'll be so glad when it's freaking finally done :eusa_pray

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4998&highlight=pool+deck

As for the ERC we will be cutting for this run, I really have no idea what the MC will be, a lot depends on how dry the logs are before we start milling them.

If you have any doubts, please do not feel like your obligated in any way.

Thanks again

J

jeff...

I am a new guy to the site. I wouldn't mind 175 BF of the cedar. I could use 50 BF 12/4, 50 8/4 and 75 4/4. I need to make a table and some benches for the deck. Also, if anyone changes a order on the 2/11 run I could use 100 BF of the oak or maple. I live in Clayton, so Cap Blvd. is a convenient place to pick things up. Thanks for offering such a service you are saving everyone money to spend on tools. Winston

Winston, I heard back from Golfdad and he locked in 60 BF of BW for the 11th run. Seeing that we're already at 975Bf sold for this run and there is another 100 on reserve. I think it's about time to close this thread. I can add 100 BF of QSWO for you to this run, if that's ok with you? That will be 275 BF (175 of ERC and 100 of QSWO), just let me know if that's ok. How far are you from the harbor freight in Raleigh? If it's not too far, I might could just run it over to your place after everyone else is done unloading.

Thanks

psufaninnc

New User
winston
Thanks for the info on MC. I will let it dry , that project wasn't until April, We have a new baby everything will be a while. I could use the oak Arts & Crafts pieces are my favorite. Last project was a Morris chair and settle. I live about 20 minutes from Harbor Freight. Thanks

J

jeff...

Thanks for the info on MC. I will let it dry , that project wasn't until April, We have a new baby everything will be a while. I could use the oak Arts & Crafts pieces are my favorite. Last project was a Morris chair and settle. I live about 20 minutes from Harbor Freight. Thanks

Winston, since your so close to HF and have an SUV, what we'll do is once everyone is done unloading theirs we'll leave yours on the trailer. I toss the straps back over the load and follow you back to your place and we'll unload it there. Who knows maybe one of the members will ride with me back to your place. It's good fellowship time.

Please check the first post of this thread make sure we got the dimensions correct, and specify the QSWO, I'll need quarter inch thickness and length preference, I'll try for as wide as I can get on the QSWO which should not be anymore than 12"

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS