Look what I get to do this weekend

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a friend that bent the blade shaft in a Saw Stop. They sent him parts and instructions.

He was nearly 80 and half blind. When he asked me to help I studied the instructions and had a lot of questions. He relayed them to support then they arranged for a tech guy to come and repair the saw. I was never more relieved.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That pdf was instructive as to the direction of decisions when observing an ad for a second hand Saw Stop for sale with the descriptor "needs some work".

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I have a friend that bent the blade shaft in a Saw Stop. They sent him parts and instructions.

He was nearly 80 and half blind. When he asked me to help I studied the instructions and had a lot of questions. He relayed them to support then they arranged for a tech guy to come and repair the saw. I was never more relieved.

Bent the blade shaft?! How the...?!

Glad to see they sent out a tech.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
** UPDATE **

As I mentioned earlier, SS asked me to replace the arbor block. From reading other online forums, I figured this was going to happen. From what I read, SS asks the owner to either replace the cartridge cable first, then if that doesn't resolve the issue, replace the arbor block. If one or the other does not resolve the issue, they then do a saw swap

Obviously, they do NOT want to do a saw swap... well, not my fault.

At one point, they were looking into sending a tech to perform the arbor block replacement. Well, the NEAREST tech is 2.5 hours away.

"Well, that won't work." SS then asked me if I wouldn't mind driving the saw to the tech. :| First, I don't own a truck *GASP*. 2nd, renting a truck with any form of lift, then driving a 5 hour round trip will cost ME a fortune.

After some back & forth, getting a director involved, cost analysis, etc., they decided to perform a saw swap. *Sweet!*

Well, I obviously do not have the new replacement saw, so we'll see if the higher ups decide to overturn this decision. :\

Any case... I'll keep this updated when I can.

Happy Tuesday!

Rory

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
All the while youre theyre deciding, without a saw. Are you a custom , professional shop?

After this lemon.. I mean headache.. I just want to throw my hands in the air and stop pursuing any form of woodworking.

Sure, their tech support might be one of the best in the industry, but my overall happiness/trust in the saw or replacement saw, confidence, question of reliability, etc..etc.. has drastically dropped.

Sour taste.

Wondering if my bar was set too high, before I purchased the "cream of the crop"??

Thanks again..... Rory

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
What the heck?

Just received an email, from SawStop, showing a tracking number via FedEx 2-day. Package coming directly from SawStop/Oregon.

Interesting. No details in the email, other than tracking #, case #.

Interesting IF this is indeed the new saw, as 2-day would be insanely pricey, imo. Not my money, but still. If this is indeed the saw, I was not expecting 2-day. Hopefully this isn't the arbor block! lol!

The last thing I was told, SawStop said they were going to get a deposit of $2,500 from me, before sending me a new saw. That phone call never happened, so I am perplexed as to what this shipment is.

Merch? SawStop T-shirts, more brake cartridges, or the replacement saw?

Rory

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I've been on the fence about getting a Sawstop, and was chatting with my wife about this 'fix it yourself' experience. Her question, would I still have confidence in the saw if I had to fix it?

I realize it has diagnostics and everything SHOULD be fine. But I might always wonder. And it seems like a big part of the SS value is peace of mind...

Glad to read you're getting another, fingers crossed the second time's the charm!

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I've been on the fence about getting a Sawstop, and was chatting with my wife about this 'fix it yourself' experience. Her question, would I still have confidence in the saw if I had to fix it?

I realize it has diagnostics and everything SHOULD be fine. But I might always wonder. And it seems like a big part of the SS value is peace of mind...

Glad to read you're getting another, fingers crossed the second time's the charm!

My thoughts exactly.. Does it work..? Can you have peace of mind?

Fix it yourself and hope for the best. That is not what I want to hear. :D

Spend 3.5 hrs replacing the cartridge cable, on Saturday. Yesterday, tech was like, "the cable could be pinched somewhere, after you installed it. You might want to verify everything is OK." Umm, no thanks. I am not spending another hour or 3, getting under that saw and getting my hands all greasy.

I'd LIKE to know that the safety system will work 100% of the time, as well as the saw, but when a situation like the above occurs... it is definitely weighing heavily on my mind.

Buy a SS.. have it work like a dream, or come across potential issues down hte near/far road, and always be concerned about the saw...

OR...

Buy an alternative saw, be safe, use jigs, use push blocks, and KEEP HANDS AWAY from the blade at all time/as best as you can, etc.., and hope you never have an incident?

Decisions...decisions.

I'm still curious what was sent out via 2-day. According to the tracking info., it will arrive tomorrow.. Find that hard to believe that a ~500lb saw would travel 2,700 miles in 2-days.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The last thing I was told, SawStop said they were going to get a deposit of $2,500 from me, before sending me a new saw.
Rory
A core charge???? really? for warranty problems???? Sounds to me that they dont stand behind their products too well. If you fix it, they have no more liability if it fails.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Just received a call from SawStop.

Looks like they didn't accidentally ship out the new saw without taking a deposit. :'(

They shipped an arbor block, instead, so that explains the "mysterious" 2-day package. I asked if they wanted it back. If so, I could put that inside the cavity of my current "broken" saw.. then when the freight company picks this one up, they can have their new arbor block back.

SS response: "No, that is ok, you can keep it just in case."

Me: Just in case what?! Isn't this a new saw you are sending me??

fml!!

And exactly.. $2,500 "holding" charge.

After this experience, I would ask everyone that is considering a SS to heavily reconsider the following.....

Is SS worth it/worth it for you?
Is the potential electrical issue/s worth it?
- It might not happen to you, but... IF it does, is this something you are prepared to deal with?
Is buying a saw w/o this potential electrical issue an option?
- If so and you are still concerned about fingers and saw blades, maybe use jigs & push blocks as frequent as possible?

Etc..etc..etc.

Live and learn... I guess

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
This! You'll get my uni when you pry it from my cold dead hands. I often wondered how long before the electronics would have issues.

^^^^^

Makes me think I should sell this replacement saw & get something else. But what...?? That's the question. Still on the fence as to what to do.

If I do, I would definitely go new, but not sure what to consider.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS