The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
Hey locals,

Two things:

(1) I recently inherited an Atlas Metal Lathe, lovingly restored and in great shape. I have no idea how to use it, but I want to put it out there that anyone who does know how to use it can come over and make use of it, and teach me about it while you’re at it. Send me a PM for more info.

(2) I’m preparing to do a hardwood flooring project in my house at the end of July, and I have no idea what I’m doing. It involves 2.5” oak tongue and groove, and also some tile work.

If anyone has done either tile or flooring work, I’d like to pick your brain.

Also, if anyone has a floor cleat nailer I could borrow for a week at the end of July, that would be AWESOME!

Oh, and yes, I’d be interested in dropping in to meet people this weekend, assuming I have enough fuel in my car. Durham is fine. I would prefer later in the day than 3:00, though. That’s right in the middle of my project time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cpaul

New User
Chris
I'm down with Durham also. Can we share a google sheet or invite or something like that to keep track of how many are interested and what location? Is there an email list I can download so we can get that going?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I like the idea of outside somewhere. I'm a fan of Hi-Wire or Ponysaurus in Durham. They both have outside seating. How about 3pm Saturday. I'm open to suggestions. Thoughts?

Works for me...

1621005032668.png

3:00 pm
74°
Partly Cloudy
0%
NE 3 mph
  • Feels Like 74°
  • Wind NE 3 mph
  • Humidity 31%
  • UV Index 7 of 10

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Oh, and yes, I’d be interested in dropping in to meet people this weekend, assuming I have enough fuel in my car. Durham is fine. I would prefer later in the day than 3:00, though. That’s right in the middle of my project time.

I had suggested 3pm as I have to be in Raleigh at 6pm. I can do later but it would be around 8pm or so before I would be free. Figured Saturday would be the better day for everyone.

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
I think if folks are interested, it would be a good idea to great a google group/ email listserv. It would allow for more subject specific conversations.

I’m happy to do so, but everyone would need to PM an email address to me.

Edit:

I created a listserv. If you’re interested, PM me your email address, or send an email to

WillyWayWoodwork (at) gmail (dot) com

Last edited:

mikeh74

New User
Mike
I think if folks are interested, it would be a good idea to great a google group/ email listserv. It would allow for more subject specific conversations.

I’m happy to do so, but everyone would need to PM an email address to me.

Edit:

I created a listserv. If you’re interested, PM me, or send an email to

durham-orange-chatham-woodworkers (at) googlegroups (dot) com

I tried to email put received the following:

Hello,

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (durham-orange-chatham-woodworkers) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at Google Groups Help.

Thanks,

Google Groups

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
I changed the post above so you can email me directly for addition to the list.

I also added you to the group, Mike.

You might want to delete your email address from the public post. Edit: looks like you did.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
how is their selection of NOT IPA? I might have suggested MiniDingo in Burlington as a half way, nut 3/4 of their beers are IPA.

No objection to Red Oak if anyone was coming in from the west. If not, Durham is OK.

I might suggest The House At Gatewood in Hillsborough though they don;t open until 4. I believe they have outside, but someone would need to call. In any case, with a group, should call.

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
Thank you.

Mike, did you get the email adding you to the listserv? It looks like I might have your address wrong.

Hillsborough is my preferred destination. Durham is fine. Prefer not to go west of Mebane.

Last edited:

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Mike, did you get the email adding you to the listserv? It looks like I might have your address wrong.

Hillsborough is my preferred destination. Durham is fine. Prefer not to go west of Mebane.

Yes, I received the email. Looks like I've joined.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OK. how about 3:00 my place here in Hillsborough. PM me for address. BYOB as I only stock " real" beer, no pilsner or IPA. :)
Got a few chips, but grab whatever you want. Nice big screened in porch.

Gasp, I had better pick up my shop!

I do ask, please, vaccinated only. Sorry but my wife is too high a risk even for a mild case which you can still get and for those who had it, that is not good enough. It's your life as well as ours. Even the mild cases have too many long term issues with heart, lungs, brain, joints and other horrible symptoms. Most of us are old farts, so even higher risk.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
OK. how about 3:00 my place here in Hillsborough. PM me for address. BYOB as I only stock " real" beer, no pilsner or IPA. :)
Got a few chips, but grab whatever you want. Nice big screened in porch.

Gasp, I had better pick up my shop!

I do ask, please, vaccinated only. Sorry but my wife is too high a risk even for a mild case which you can still get and for those who had it, that is not good enough. It's your life as well as ours. Even the mild cases have too many long term issues with heart, lungs, brain, joints and other horrible symptoms. Most of us are old farts, so even higher risk.

I'll be there! Had my jab for a couple months.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Was going t put the incite on the Google group, but even with the e-mail, it does not like me.
Anyway, BYOB, 3:00. Several takers already.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Was going t put the incite on the Google group, but even with the e-mail, it does not like me.
Anyway, BYOB, 3:00. Several takers already.
Scott,

thanks a bunch for the invite, but I have other things for today.

Hopefully next time!

cpaul

New User
Chris
Sorry to have to ask this - I have actually used my eyeballs but I don't see how to PM here. Help?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS