Curved Lid Teak Jewelry Boxes

BKHam

Bradley
User
An original design, I wasn’t really inspired by anything directly. I did a bookcase with the same offset drawer structure and did that again. there are curved top boxes out there so there is nothing new under the sun but this one is mine. dividers and shelf use tiny housed sliding dovetails. i came up with a pretty clever way of centering the dovetail bit on the dados using a quick mortise jig and a spacer that was rabbetted to fit into the dado. I may do a separate post on it.

Brass knobs were found on etsy. Tiny little taper machined into these guys. Went with a classic chain lid stop because I never could find hinges that did exactly what I wanted. The curved lid put the center of gravity in an odd place. i ground the stops and played with them quite a bit until i went too far. but its a classic looks and brass is continued throughout.

Each has two trays in the top and a tray in each narrow drawer. Each drawer bottom is lined with leather. The trays are flocked with suede.

20210507_131942.jpg
20210507_150041.jpg

20210507_145931.jpg
20210506_134954.jpg

BKHam

Bradley
User
Really nice work, and I especially like the offset hinges.

I would probably do the hinges differently next time. I'm not totally sure what i'd change but maybe i'd go with a thicker back panel so i could use more typical leaf style box hinges.

cpaul

New User
Chris
Really nice work! Would love to see that dovetail / dado centering jig too. Thanks for posting.

ratneri

New User
ilya
I'm just learning about woodworking techniques, and have a question. How do you curve the top? Is it steam bent, or kerf, or something altogether different?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS