Planter

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
My wife was given an old "oaken bucket" by her Swiss friend many years ago. It was very old at the time and has deteriorated more since. It has great sentimental value and we would like to hire someone to make us another one. I thought of NCWW and hope this is the right form under which to post the request. It measures 13" high and diameters of 11" and 14" and 22 tapers and arced slats or staves. I can supply the kiln dried oak and make available the old one for a model. It will need a bottom which has rotted from the old one. Thanks for your consideration.

IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG

Skymaster

New User
Jack
What is your time frame for this? I trust you understand this is not an easy task but it looks interesting to me :D This month is shot because of an out of state wedding but June is open.
PM me with your info and I will respond with mine. My shop is in Zebulon

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
What is your time frame for this? I trust you understand this is not an easy task but it looks interesting to me :D This month is shot because of an out of state wedding but June is open.
PM me with your info and I will respond with mine. My shop is in Zebulon

Good on ya Jack, you're the man!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Roflmao probably gonna pay fer this :D :D ;);) Looks interesting tho somewhat simple and a bunch more complex but learning for me

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Roflmao probably gonna pay fer this :D :D ;);) Looks interesting tho somewhat simple and a bunch more complex but learning for me

And Jack just to be sure on the specifications, I suspect they might also want a bottom as part of this, although that is not shown in the pics ;) :rolleyes: :) :D

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob @kelLOGg,
You and Jack can work it out, but as a temporary measure (and especially if Jack isn't going to use the rings and handles) you could "plant" it in the ground and put dirt inside for Mrs. Bob to put flowers or ??? in...
The wood will continue to deteriorate, but when the season is over, you can pull it and Jack then has all winter to work our the compound angles required to make a "staved" vessel... with or without an up-charged bottom! LOL

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Bob @kelLOGg
... and Jack then has all winter to work our the compound angles required to make a "staved" vessel... with or without an up-charged bottom! LOL

A cooper doesn’t calculate stave angles but uses ingenuity. The stave angle is “measured” with two hinged sticks with inch marks. The sticks are placed over the stave at the marks equaling the radius of the vessel and voila, that is the proper angle regardless of the stave width. Very basic geometry. Dr. Google didn’t find me a picture but the process is in one of the Foxfire books.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Jack,
The oak I have is about 4 or 5 inches wide and is left over from projects. When I bring it to you I will have cut it slightly over length. I will include some wider short pieces for the bottom. Do you need "practice" pieces to cut he staves? if so, I will include pine in the delivery. Is this a reasonable approach?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I noticed those staves are fitted with tongue and groves, not the common simple angle buckets made here that I have seen before. That is probably why they have thin tin strips instead of the heavier blacksmith made iron rings.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Correct, Mike. I should have emphasized the T&G nature of the staves because the bucket is so worn it is not obvious.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Jack,
The oak I have is about 4 or 5 inches wide and is left over from projects. When I bring it to you I will have cut it slightly over length. I will include some wider short pieces for the bottom. Do you need "practice" pieces to cut he staves? if so, I will include pine in the delivery. Is this a reasonable approach?
That wood bee fantabulous, GONNA need practice parts :D :D unless you need it just leave the pcs as they are, more practice LOL

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
They are about 7 ft long so I would have to bring my truck on the long trip which is overkill so I will have to cut them. Suppose I cut them to 42" then they will fit in the car?

cfield60

jeff
User
Roy Underhill has an episode where he makes a giant one for watering cows in the pasture. I saw this many years ago though. Just remember to use white oak and not red oak.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Now that's really nice! Jack, are you gonna start a new line for your shop? Jack's Cooper Shop.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS