What to do with it?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a 24" and 12" 'twin' hickory that split up the middle of the larger half and had to be dropped on January 1 of this year at my old home. It was leaning towards the house and I didn't want it to damage it. Because I didn't have the time or inclination to deal with it, I offered it to a local barbecue restaurant if they would come get it. Probably 5-6 truckloads of wood. Paved driveway within 20 feet of the stump. He's not even been to see it. I'm afraid it's too dry now to put a chain saw into and it's got the yard all blocked up for mowing. Is it worth trying to get a taker, or should I just knock the dust off my old chain saw and roll the logs down the hill? I'll try to upload a few pics later.

gritz

New User
Robert
My Grandmother used to tell a story about a lazy neighbor with hungry children. She offered to give him some corn from their wagon as they drove past his house. His reply from the porch rocker..."is it shelled?"

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The Right chainsaw blade will cut it. You may want to use an extra oilier. You could also cut it with water as the lubricant. It just depends if your saw is big enough.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I found Craigs list will make any decent firewood disappear. Quite a few around here heat with wood.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Lots of advice from folks who have not cut dry hickory Dennis. Just go out and see how long your blade lasts with all this great advice. Good Luck. I have fought with hickory for chair parts and when its dry -- its over for working.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Lots of advice from folks who have not cut dry hickory Dennis. Just go out and see how long your blade lasts with all this great advice. Good Luck. I have fought with hickory for chair parts and when its dry -- its over for working.
Whats so hard about dry hickory? I have cut it up for firewood many times

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I had a 24" and 12" 'twin' hickory that split up the middle of the larger half and had to be dropped on January 1 of this year at my old home. It was leaning towards the house and I didn't want it to damage it. Because I didn't have the time or inclination to deal with it, I offered it to a local barbecue restaurant if they would come get it. Probably 5-6 truckloads of wood. Paved driveway within 20 feet of the stump. He's not even been to see it. I'm afraid it's too dry now to put a chain saw into and it's got the yard all blocked up for mowing. Is it worth trying to get a taker, or should I just knock the dust off my old chain saw and roll the logs down the hill? I'll try to upload a few pics later.
At only 5 months on the ground I wouldn’t be surprised if it was still pretty green. Hickory rots pretty quick once’s it’s dry and left outside. Should get plenty of pieces for handles and chair parts. No fun if it’s not green.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If the bark is still on it, the wood inside is probably almost as green as the day it fell, although dropping in Jan means it had little sap in it to start with.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS