Barnwood - first time and probably my last -update finished!

ManitouCA

New User
Allan
Looks like you have lots of suggestions here. I know personally what a pain working with undimensioned material is like. My style favors the look of unfinished surfaces but it sure makes it tough to get straight lines, no cracks, even surfaces, tight mitres, etc. Maybe you said the best piece of advice ... never agree to do this again :)

Ciao ... Dorm
Hi Dorm, I think you’re confusing my post with someone else. I will be working in barn wood in the future as it’s one of the materials we’re not afraid to use. You just need to reprogram your approach to deal with its idiosyncrasies. I think the best advice I can give is that you should figure on a 25-30% up charge over your typical solid hardwood construction like maple or oak. It’s that labor intensive. Also save your crappy saw blades, maybe look at getting another used planer with lots of knives to thickness your stock and watch out for a shrapnel when machining parts.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
Hi Dorm, I think you’re confusing my post with someone else. I will be working in barn wood in the future as it’s one of the materials we’re not afraid to use. You just need to reprogram your approach to deal with its idiosyncrasies. I think the best advice I can give is that you should figure on a 25-30% up charge over your typical solid hardwood construction like maple or oak. It’s that labor intensive. Also save your crappy saw blades, maybe look at getting another used planer with lots of knives to thickness your stock and watch out for a shrapnel when machining parts.
Hi Alan... it was my intention to reply to the original poster, so my comments were not related to anything you are doing. I am well familiar with the challenges presented from working with bug infested, warped, rough sawn material. It takes a lot of skill and patience to produce a quality product. Kudos to you if this happens to be your "bread and butter" and chosen style.

Also.my impression too was that the original poster realized, once getting started with "barn wood material", all of these issues, and might elect to never agree to do this again.

Ciao ... Dorm

ManitouCA

New User
Allan
Hi Alan... it was my intention to reply to the original poster, so my comments were not related to anything you are doing. I am well familiar with the challenges presented from working with bug infested, warped, rough sawn material. It takes a lot of skill and patience to produce a quality product. Kudos to you if this happens to be your "bread and butter" and chosen style.

Also.my impression too was that the original poster realized, once getting started with "barn wood material", all of these issues, and might elect to never agree to do this again.

Ciao ... Dorm
Sorry Dorm. My mistake reading your post.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Got the base made, didn't realize how tricky it was going to be with all the angles and m&t's.... only had a couple small gaps and from 5 feet away it looks good..... since it will be painted I used poplar ..... now back to my problems with the top..
IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mark, beautiful work! While the top is a challenge, I am confident you will make the proverbial "silk purse from a sow's ear"!

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Finally finished this - great learning experience- just hope it doesn't move too much..... the wood was so.....experienced and bug eaten, that I glued it to half inch plywood..
IMG_0614.JPG

And that was too thin to look right on the base so I framed it to give it some sense of thickness as well.
IMG_6848.jpg

They are happy, I am very happy... 3 coats of polycrylic, very easy finish. Thanks for all the help and advise, and Bob for running this thru his kiln, making sure the bugs finally stop!
IMG_6850.jpg

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Beautiful work, Mel! Nice edge solution too. Glad it turned out so well and that your customer is happy too.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mark, the table turned out beautifully! Lots of excellent craftsmanship and creativity. I am sure the owners are going to cherish it as a family heirloom, as they should!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS