Retro-Fit Canister Filter for Dust Collector

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
What’s been everyone’s experience with a Retro-Fit canister filter to replace the filter bag on a single stage dust collector.

Wynn? Oneida?

Or not worth the money

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Definitely worth the money. I retrofitted a Wynn canister for a Harbor Freight dust collector, and it significantly improved performance, not just filtration but also air flow. The cloth bags restricted flow way too much when dirty, and did a poor job of filtering when clean.

(Granted, this was 10 years ago, but the physics haven't changed.)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Seriously- putting a canister on a single stage DC!?!?!? It is a big waste of money. In short order, not only will the canister clog and reduce air flow (and you can't throw a canister in the wash), but also, much of the finest dust will permanently clog and even damage the filter media.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A bag single stage is not a dust collector. It is a chip collector and high power dust atomizer. The only thing worse is to actually wash a filter bag. They go from almost useless to totally useless. (RTFI)

I put the Jet canister on mine. It worked far better than the bag. But you do have to be very diligent about cleaning it frequently. I did not run the flapper for a couple of days and it blew the bag off. I don't think just the flapper is good enough. Compressed air may be better.
Anyway, the end result is my new Clear View 1800 cyclone. Powered it up for the first time yesterday.

It is tough to hear, but really, for your health, a two stage is a must. Woodworking is not cheap, but neither is emphysema. The only other way around it is to put the bags outside. Makes HVAC not workable though.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Oh yea, I thought about adding a cyclone to the jet. I believe the complaints about reducing the flow are over-rated. Sure, compared to a new clean canister, but compared to a canister loaded with dust, the cyclone is the winner. The issue get back to the drops in the rest of the system. If a portable, roll around, single machine, then I suspect a 1 3/4 collector with a Oneida cyclone added would work fine. I wanted a full ducted system and enough massive volume to hopefully suck the miter saw station, though that may be impossible. So, 5 HP.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
My entire shop is only 12’8” x 23’ and I am a hobbyist. I fill up the collection bag about twice a year. So if that tells you the frequency and amount of wood working. Of my tools, only 5 are brand new, the rest were purchased used. I just don’t have room in a small shop for a cyclone. As I side not, some of you might have seen my posts about looking to purchase a new table saw. My worry is that a new 36” table saw wouldn’t fit in my shop

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
mine is more of a frankenstein's monster unit (Harbor Freight motor and impeller, thein top hat, grizzly collector, wynn enviromental canister filter) i recently added the wynn canister and haven't logged a lot of time with it yet but so far i am enjoying it. It was super easy to install on the collector, they even send clamps to hold it tight.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
A bit of creativity in packaging, adding a 5 inch Dust Deputy to a basic Jet 1100 takes up no more space. Look at how the Oneida and CV systems are packaged and see if you can't manage something creative.

Or even look at this small space answer for a lot of money: https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-col...wall-mounted-hepa-cyclone-dust-collector-230v

Though it is admitedly and very basic demonstration (photo?) setup (lunch box planer, portable contractor saw, and three other small drops) that Oneida shows on the Supercell webpage, but how can a company whose main business is dust collection systems, show ducting that uses 'T' fittings, a real no, no, instead of wye fittings!?!?!?

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I retro-fitted my Jet with a Wynn canister. After several years still very satisfied. I blow it back with compressed air occasionally as Wynn advised. Better air quality and dust collection equal or better than original bag.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Though it is admitedly and very basic demonstration (photo?) setup (lunch box planer, portable contractor saw, and three other small drops) that Oneida shows on the Supercell webpage, but how can a company whose main business is dust collection systems, show ducting that uses 'T' fittings, a real no, no, instead of wye fittings!?!?!?
Maybe ask them. We sure can't guess. Could be it was all done by some PR firm.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe ask them. We sure can't guess. Could be it was all done by some PR firm.
regardless to Alan's point - it is careless for them to release it, regardless of who did the work!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
regardless to Alan's point - it is careless for them to release it, regardless of who did the work!
Like the nice Japanese style try/45 square posted on Amazon with scale in inches. Came in mm. Sending it back!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
What’s been everyone’s experience with a Retro-Fit canister filter to replace the filter bag on a single stage dust collector.

Wynn? Oneida?

Or not worth the money
Works for me. I retrofitted my Griz single stage with a canister before retrofit kits were a thing. A cheap trash can preseparator catches the chips.

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS