Why...

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
1. What are you working on? the boat below
2. What have you most recently completed? rifle and chair below
Post a picture or video of your shop.
3.Why did you get into woodworking? I got the bug when I was around 8, I don't remember the reason that I started I just kept doing it.
4. Who have you helped recently that REALLY benefited from your woodworking knowledge or experience? Just look in the gallery under danmart77

Attachments

• boat outside.jpg
    boat outside.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC05957.JPG
    DSC05957.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 145
  • resize (1).JPG
    resize (1).JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 116

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just finished the metal today. 12x16 starter building for my wood working. If you ever get seconds at metal place in sanford make sure you go yourself to get it. That's what they sold me for seconds at $1.50 ft. But anyways when get saw, planer and everything set up will update pics. Super excited to actually have a place to set up everything and not have to set my stuff up outside every time wanted to make anything. Now just be able to go to building and do it. They 2 pics of pine with threw dovetails is going to be my alignment board for marking dovetails. Still have to add the fence for it and finish. Just something to make to keep practicing dovetails.
That will be nice! (being able to go and work rather than setting up...)

Was the metal in a fire? or is that a pattern?

Those dovetails - WAY better than mine!

Trey1984

Trey
User
That will be nice! (being able to go and work rather than setting up...)

Was the metal in a fire? or is that a pattern?

Those dovetails - WAY better than mine!
Lol no it wasn't in a fire. Does look like it though. Believe it or not it was suppose to be new metal just scratch or dent. Was just suppose to be little flaw but instead They gave me metal that was returned in 2019 (warranty return that was installed and it did have screw holes in it also). Needless to say they got me. I paid $480 for 25 sheets of that. I paid$1.50 ft when new was $2 ft. My father went picked up for me and he didn't think about looking at it and can't return scratch and dent. So that's how I ended up with burnt looking metal

Trey1984

Trey
User
Lol no it wasn't in a fire. Does look like it though. Believe it or not it was suppose to be new metal just scratch or dent. Was just suppose to be little flaw but instead They gave me metal that was returned in 2019 (warranty return that was installed and it did have screw holes in it also). Needless to say they got me. I paid $480 for 25 sheets of that. I paid$1.50 ft when new was $2 ft. My father went picked up for me and he didn't think about looking at it and can't return scratch and dent. So that's how I ended up with burnt looking metal
And it's weathered or was bad finish and why was returned under warranty. Not sure and only reason I know when wss returned and wss warranty is bc found receipt between metal.

Trey1984

Trey
User
And it's weathered or was bad finish and why was returned under warranty. Not sure and only reason I know when wss returned and wss warranty is bc found receipt between metal.
And thanks about the dovetails. I'm wanting to get into box making and some case working (wall hanging tool cabinet:D) so have been practicing every chance I get.

bainin

New User
bainin
New member today - been practicing woodworking for a little over a year now.

1. What are you working on? Nine Man Morris board game
2. What have you most recently completed? Cherry/Walnut Tissue box covers
3.Why did you get into woodworking? I had an empty space in my home that needed filling.
4. Who have you helped recently that REALLY benefited from your woodworking knowledge or experience? I've really benefited from working with my teen sons. Good quality time with them.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 114
  • tissueboxes.jpg
    tissueboxes.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 117
  • shoproom.jpg
    shoproom.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 120

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
And thanks about the dovetails. I'm wanting to get into box making and some case working (wall hanging tool cabinet:D) so have been practicing every chance I get.
KEEP IT UP - your practise is paying off!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
New member today - been practicing woodworking for a little over a year now.

1. What are you working on? Nine Man Morris board game
2. What have you most recently completed? Cherry/Walnut Tissue box covers
3.Why did you get into woodworking? I had an empty space in my home that needed filling.
4. Who have you helped recently that REALLY benefited from your woodworking knowledge or experience? I've really benefited from working with my teen sons. Good quality time with them.
LOVE that shop space!
the game is nice, but the tissue box covers are REALLY nice!!!

Cool that you got your sons involved, have you always been a woodworker or how did you get into it?

bainin

New User
bainin
LOVE that shop space!
the game is nice, but the tissue box covers are REALLY nice!!!

Cool that you got your sons involved, have you always been a woodworker or how did you get into it?

I've been at it for about a year now-filling out that space under my home. I'm not exactly sure what brought me into it...something tangible for me, compared to the work I do I guess. Thanks for the compliments on the work !

b

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
DSC06012.jpg

Here is a corner cabinet that used to be behind the cash register at the Winkler Bakery shop in Old Salem. The original was built with poplar but I chose to use some nice walnut I had at that time.

Pdkennelly

New User
Parley
Desk was modified from the Ana White craft table. Made for a friend of my daughter who had been using a folding card table as a desk.
1619187121211.png

This was made for my Whovian daughter's birthday.
1619187224859.png

EricS

Eric
Senior User
So I am working on finishing a set of 6 Windsor chairs. The 4 side chairs were completed a few years ago. I am working on the head chairs. Pictured below is the legs I started from Curtis Buchanan’s Democratic chair. This will be donated to The Dove House for a Charity auction. It is a children’s advocacy group for sexually abused children in Iredell County.
41DF30B1-D3D1-4D05-91E5-B5DE11E6F7D8.jpeg

I recently built a work bench for my daughter’s friend’s father who was paralyzed on his left side from a stroke. He is extreme active despite his disability. He mentioned he wanted to build some stuff for his daughters and his family’s home. I offered to help him design and build him a bench to suite his wheel chair and bandsaw. It’s not much but his wife can’t get him out of the garage now! Here is a link to him making his first cut. Not much but pretty cool for a guy with one usable arm. He built me this and his wife did the wood burning as a thank you gift.
95867907-C3B0-4C28-9565-F077460A18E8.jpeg

I have always been around wood and love building things. I’ve framed homes for years, ran a cabinet shop for 13 years and now I make things for fun. I really enjoy working with wood more than ever. I just quarter sawed a beautiful 30” white oak blow down. I’m stacking it tonight and will be waiting patiently to build a few Roycroft repos for my home. Thanks NCWW for all your help through the years.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS