hornbeam/ musclewood

tghsmith

tghs
User
I'm looking for a strange piece of wood for a histroric reproduction,, need a billet 3" x 2.5" x 30" there are several different types of hardwoods that could be used but really wanting to stay with the 1450-1500s original..

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Look on ETSY they sell Hornbeam (blue beech) there usually 3-4" x 30-40" pirces

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is a lot of this in Western North Carolina. Like @Mike Davis says it grew along side the creeks. We called it iron wood because it was very hard and tough. I don't recall the trees ever getting bigger than a few inches in diameter.

Funny you should mention this wood. I was doing some research yesterday on alternatives for boxwood and this one came up. Let us know where you find a source.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hornbeam/ironwood grows in central NC as well. I have several growing on my land (Pittsboro) and I know of others in the area and up in Mebane/Hillsborough area. I don't have any that's cut/dried, it's all standing.

tghsmith

tghs
User
There is a lot of this in Western North Carolina. Like @Mike Davis says it grew along side the creeks. We called it iron wood because it was very hard and tough. I don't recall the trees ever getting bigger than a few inches in diameter.

Funny you should mention this wood. I was doing some research yesterday on alternatives for boxwood and this one came up. Let us know where you find a source.
what size boxwood do you need?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
what size boxwood do you need?

Mine is more of an interest rather than a need. I plan to build a couple of planes that will require some boxing. Most likely I will use persimmon for this, which I have on hand. Persimmon is harder than hornbeam (Janka 2300 for persimmon vs 1780 for hornbeam). Did you have some extra you want to sell? I'm always open to trying a new wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS