2021 projects

Richo B

New User
Richo
I haven't been on here in a while. After finishing the Tea Chest last year I started making a puzzle box, experimenting with some different concepts. That is still in the works. While working on that I did make a Donkey's Ear for easier creation of 45 degree angles on thin stock.
Donkey Ear_3.24.21.jpg
Complete with Stanley No. 6_3.24.21.jpg

It is actually held to the shooting board with two brass rods for easy install and take down.

Additionally I'm still planning to make a pinwheel cabinet based on the one on display at Old Salem's Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. I've started the planning on that but have put it off a little while working on the puzzle box.

Finally, I've created a YouTube channel which features demonstrations of the two puzzle cabinets that I've completed over the past two years and posted photos of here. The demo videos show the process for going through each puzzle cabinet. Right now in the puzzling world, making custom sequential discovery or puzzle cabinets is a pretty popular and many are starting to combine woodworking and puzzling for this. I just enjoy combining my twenty years of classical furniture knowledge as a furniture conservator with creating puzzles.

The YouTube channel is Richo Woodworking, easy to find.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfAN3Ab4EZaF81wMW7OwB7A

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is Cool Rich, I watched a couple of them, but you have some significant white-noise in your audio and on the brace one it is worse than on the others... (No solutions, sorry, but I know there are people who can help!)

Richo B

New User
Richo
That is Cool Rich, I watched a couple of them, but you have some significant white-noise in your audio and on the brace one it is worse than on the others... (No solutions, sorry, but I know there are people who can help!)
I had bought a new webcam for the demo videos. I had read there were some noise issues with that camera. If I get to a point where there are really complaints I can buy a GoPro and eliminate that. But at this point my YouTube channel is very low-key. The brace video was shot on my cell phone, originally for my Instagram account, for someone who asked the purpose of a Corner Brace. I believe I posted it here too once.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I went back and checked the Brace video. Yikes that is some bad white noise. Thanks for pointing that out. I never really noticed it before because it was originally made for Instagram. I may end up remaking that one with the newer camera or taking it down entirely. It was put up along with another just to give a filler when I started the channel until the real demonstration videos were ready. I suppose there might be better software that can remove the white noise. I'm using the Video editor that comes with the computer.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I went back and checked the Brace video. Yikes that is some bad white noise. Thanks for pointing that out. I never really noticed it before because it was originally made for Instagram. I may end up remaking that one with the newer camera or taking it down entirely. It was put up along with another just to give a filler when I started the channel until the real demonstration videos were ready. I suppose there might be better software that can remove the white noise. I'm using the Video editor that comes with the computer.
You can get some cheap lavalier microphones that will plug into your camera or cell phone. I know some people film without sound and then "over-dub" the video, but I understand that you were doing it quickly. I hesitated to say something, but I was guessing you didn't realize it. (wanted to be helpful, not critical)

Richo B

New User
Richo
You can get some cheap lavalier microphones that will plug into your camera or cell phone. I know some people film without sound and then "over-dub" the video, but I understand that you were doing it quickly. I hesitated to say something, but I was guessing you didn't realize it. (wanted to be helpful, not critical)
Over dubbing is something I would like to look into. I've seen some of the microphones as our tech crew at work have them for our Facebook Live videos. There are certainly some little things that I can look into without going all the way.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Over dubbing is something I would like to look into. I've seen some of the microphones as our tech crew at work have them for our Facebook Live videos. There are certainly some little things that I can look into without going all the way.
I want to encourage you (and others) to create more content as Social Media out-reach is something I think we need to do to reach new (and more) future members...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS